We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We're back!

Kent, England
Level Contributor
205 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
We're back!

My new husband and I have just returned back from a week in New York and had the most amazing time!! The weather was pretty much constantly 30 degrees each day with storms at night so made for very hot walking conditions each day!

We did most things on our itinerary although it soon became apparent that no matter how much one plans, the city throws up all sorts of hurdles that mooching around with a vague idea of what you want to do works best in such a bustling city!

We achieved visits to the MOMA, TOTR, Grand Central, CP, Statue of Lib, Chelsea Market, Soho, G/wich Village, Midtown, Downtown, Fin. District, Times Square, Pastis, Balthazar, Eleven Madison Park, Buddakan, Locanda Verde, Shake Shack and more and more!! There were some really crazy people and some really great people - the Americans (or New Yorkers) are great at customer service and our hotel - the Trump Soho was fantastic (just a shame about the Holland Tolland traffic which is relentless!). Things we didn't like was Times Square and the continuous honking of horns - although I'm sure you can't have one without the other!

We will definitely be back and the sooner the better, still so much to do but with an itinerary to amble next time rather than have a regimented who/where/when!

We did see a couple of famous faces inc. 4 England Premiership football players eating brunch at Pastis which cheered up my husband no end!

Thank you for your help and advice but you really have to see it to believe it!

The new Mrs M!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,501 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We're back!

Glad you had such a great trip. Would love to hear more about the hotel and particularly the traffic/noise problem. I've actually just recommended it to another poster before seeing your post.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
205 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We're back!

The hotel was fabulous. The decor not at all Trump like, very elegant and sophisticated and when the spa and pool are finished (August) it will be even better. The downside is that if you have a room facing the Hudson (as we did), although the views are wonderful especially at sunset, you look down on to the Holland Tunnel which seems to have a constant stream of traffic going in from about Midday to 11pm at night (the only day it was quiet was Memorlal Monday)! We could even hear the horns on the 20th floor.

The other downside is the sound proofing inside - we could hear our Japanese upstairs neighbour on the phone and our very noisy young guests next door at 3AM!!! Otherwise fab hotel, amazing service, faultless housekeeping, excellent dining and great Soho location.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We're back!

Congrats!

Glad to hear you had such a good time. How did you like the restaurants you mentioned? I know you put a lot of thought into planning them :)

Kent, England
Level Contributor
205 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We're back!

We really didn't experience a bad meal during our entire stay. I did a lot of research beforehand and managed to experience most of food for all tastes, almost like going around the world with all our culinary delights - tastebud heaven!

We loved Kittachai. Very cool restaurant and the thai food sublime. Service OK but we did ask to be moved. They gave us free champagne as we were celebrating which was a bonus. As we were dining there we were also permitted entrance to the private A-60 members club on the roof top which was very cool especially in the balmy evenings we had.

Both Pastis and Balthazar were utterly fab. We had Sunday brunch at Pastis and spent the day in and around those neighbourhoods working toward Washington Square Park. The brunch was like the Wolesley in London and as expected. Excellent crowd and good Eggs Benedict! Balthazar did very nice organic porridge and honey and again, brilliant service.

Lunch at the Modern (MOMA) (The Bar not Fine Dining) was very good but also very bustling and tables too close together.

We both loved Locanda Verde and was lucky to score a table street side and we could see the Hudson and the sunet. We had a gorgeous chicken dish to share and some lovely wine. We headed over to the Crosby Street Hotel and their bar for a nightcap (lovely champers!).

My particular favourites were Market Table - cool relaxed sophistication. Good crowd. Simple well executed food and Eleven Madison Park. Gorgeous building (a SATC haunt) and service above and beyond.

But sooooo many restaurants we didn't get to and sooo many more to try! Lombardi's pizza for one and Nobu and Little Owl and River Cafe Brooklyn Bridge etc. etc. I'd be fat if I lived in NYC!

Level Contributor
34,732 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We're back!

Sounds like you had a great trip! We visited NYC for the first time last Fall and I want to go back again sometime. My son just spent several weeks there visiting a friend before heading to Rome, Italy and loved this city. Thank you for sharing your trip with us! :)

stockport
Level Contributor
497 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We're back!

"The other downside is the sound proofing inside - we could hear our Japanese upstairs neighbour on the phone and our very noisy young guests next door at 3AM"

Do you think they were saying the same about the noisy honeymoon couple !! :-)

Kent, England
Level Contributor
205 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We're back!

LOL Stockport! I'm a laaaaady!! ;-)

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,582 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: We're back!

Thanks for a good review on your TR glad you had a nice time.

9. Re: We're back!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2010, 05:16