We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Immigation Control at JFK

East London
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Immigation Control at JFK

Hi,

I am travelling to New York JFK this saturday and have a few questions regarding immigration. I am a Muslim female from the UK, with a British Passport, I have travelled to Saudi, Pakistan and Morocco within the last 5 years, I have read from many blogs these counties usually mean there is more chance of being pulled through immigration control

If this does happen, how long do they usually take? Would this mean I have more chance of being deported?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Immigation Control at JFK

The screening process is notoriously unpredictable -- I don't think there's any way to estimate whether you're likely to be pulled out or how long you would be questioned if you do get stopped.

East London
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Immigation Control at JFK

I thought as much. My husband is already in NY working, so I wanted a rough estimate on how long it would take. Im assuming that I would not be able on have my mobile on during this time incase there are any problems...which are hope they are not : ).

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
475 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Immigation Control at JFK

Have you filled in the online ESTA form? Yo need to do this before you travel. Have a great time.

Ann

East London
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Immigation Control at JFK

Yes, completed and authorised to travel, but I guess that doesnt get me straight through the immigration at JFK.

Regards

Sofia

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,415 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Immigation Control at JFK

Nope. I'm sorry. There's no one here who can give you an answer. You could breeze through; you could be stuck there for hours. It's up to the whims of the individual inspectors on duty more than anything else. I imagine that if you're wearing a headscarf and South Asian clothing you'll have more trouble than if you are dressed modern and Western, no headscarf, etc, but that's just a guess.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Immigation Control at JFK

And btw you are not allowed to use your cell phone till after you leave the customs and immigration area

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,867 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Immigation Control at JFK

I've never seen a rule against using your cell phone until then - everyone is already on their cell phones the second the plane comes to a complete stop and people start to get up to get out.

Where did you hear about the no cell phone use ban until after customs/immigration.

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,151 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Immigation Control at JFK

I know that's the rule at O'Hare, assume it's also true in New York. Yes, you can use the phone when you're still on the plane but once you enter immigration, that's a no-no. I don't think phones will even work, frankly.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,867 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Immigation Control at JFK

Interesting - never noticed it. I think I didn't call my car service last month until I did pass through customs.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Immigation Control at JFK

I HAVE seen the "no cell phone usage" signs in Customs/Immigration.