We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Running/Showering in NYC

Northeast
Level Contributor
469 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Running/Showering in NYC

My family will be heading into the city for a day in July. My husband and son would like to run while my daughter and I see a show. Is there anywhere that the boys can buy a day pass, or something like that, to a gym near the theater district so that they can store their things while they run and shower after their run? Also, can anyone suggest a route near the theater district, or going with the assumption that this is not feasible, a park nearby (husband will run about 5 miles and son 8-10)?

Thanks for any assistance that you can provide!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,909 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Running/Showering in NYC

Manhattan Plaza will sell a trial day pass but not on weekends.

http://www.mphc.com/pages/trial-workout.php

Not as close to the theater district but closer to Central Park, where they could run, is the YMCA Westside which offers a 1 week free membership.

http://www.ymcanyc.org/index.php?id=1096

It gets really hot during the day in July for running. Most people run either very early in the morning or early evening when it's cooler. I think this is a bad idea. They'd be better going to Chelsea Piers imo and doing something indoors or maybe going to see the Intrepid.

Northeast
Level Contributor
469 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Running/Showering in NYC

Thanks nywhiz! I absolutely agree that it's a bad idea and hope that they will change their minds. My son in particular is a fanatic when it comes to running (he's out now and it's HOT), but I if I get my way, they'll just run before we head to the city. They ran in grueling weather in San Juan and survived, so hopefully, they'll be fine.

I'll pass along your suggestion and advice! Thanks again!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Running/Showering in NYC

Besides the heat and humidity, the air quality is often lousy during the summer, e.g., heightened levels of surface ozone. So I too am hoping they'll get their runs in before you leave home!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,842 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Running/Showering in NYC

Well, as a runner myself, and being married to a marathoner, I sympathize with your husband and son. :) So, lets see if I can find them a safe and convenient route. What time are you seeing a show (are we talking matinee, or evening?) and where is your hotel? (Are you staying overnight?) Is there a reason they have to run near where the two of you will be? Can they meet up with you afterwards?

Edited: 20 June 2010, 23:44
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
38,304 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Running/Showering in NYC

The theatre district seems like a terrible place to run in. It is very congested with both cars and people. I doubt they could easily run if they wanted to. I would be scared stiff of them running in the street with cars, buses, cabs, trucks and bikes darting in and out.

Northeast
Level Contributor
469 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Running/Showering in NYC

We're taking the train in for the day on a Saturday. I would have liked to have booked a hotel, but being the holiday weekend and since we just found out everyone is free, there isn't much available. An overnight stay would have solved the shower problem, etc. I'm still checking, but it's not looking good. Unfortunately, because it's the weekend, the Marathon Plaza suggestion doesn't work. The show is at 2:00. And no, they do not need to run near the theater. I just thought it would be convenient if they could buy a day pass to a place near the theater so that they could shower and store their stuff there. Of course, another place close to their route would work fine. I'm sure they would enjoy running in Central Park as suggested; any other suggestions are welcome. The last time my son came into the city with his runner friends, he was injured so he was the designated "keeper of the stuff" while everyone else ran. I guess his friends weren't concerned about showering after. Anyway, I know he'd like to be a runner this time! I know it might seem a little strange with all that NYC has to offer; we'll see what happens in the end.

Thanks for all the comments. Thanks also in advance BrooklynBrdge for any suggestions that you have.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Running/Showering in NYC

Have them run in Central Park. trying to run in the city, especially midtown is really a bad idea. They will need to stop for traffic at every light, will run into/around people and honestly will p!ss everyone else off. Besides, Central Park has trees so it won't be as hot.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,489 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Running/Showering in NYC

Not only can they run in Central Park, but they can run to/fro Central Park from TS. Make sure they choose a good route. It sounds like they want to run 60-90 minutes. I've run to/fro Central Park a few times using quiet streets and did fine, but you never know about traffic as some days are great, some days awful. Morning runs are good to beat the heat, if possible.

9. Re: Running/Showering in NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 June 2010, 22:05
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Running/Showering in NYC

please no free advertising!