We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Empire State Building and Skyride

Toronto, Ont
Level Contributor
260 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Empire State Building and Skyride

Hello,

I wanted to pre-book tickets for the Empire State Building, and went to https://tickets.esbnyc.com/ (the official website). Here the there are two sets of tickets I was looking at:

The ESP Express Pass Tickets which claims to Save time and allow me to proceed directly to the front of the line - the cost is $41.52 + (3.48 TX)

The second tickets is for the:

ESB Observatory and NY Skyride Combo Tickets

Adult: $45.45 (+$1.55Tx) *A $2.00 surcharge will be added to the price of each ticket at the time of purchase.

Aside from the addition of the Skyride, what is the difference between these two tickets? there does not seem to be any extra cost for the Skyride....

Also, I researched the Skyride which took me to this website

http://www.skyride.com/combotickets.html where you can purchase the NY SKYRIDE & Empire State Building Combo Package for $39 - does anybody know if this website is legit? Why is this price cheaper then the price quoted on the ESB website. Also is the Skyride worth it... many blogs say that this is really crappy, often broken and it does not really save you time in line-ups as you still have to wait for elevators to the deck of ESB.

Any info much appreciated.

Hammy

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Empire State Building and Skyride

I haven't been on the SkyRide but the everyone here says the same things as you are reading on the blogs..So, I would skip the Skyride..

IMHO, I woud even skip the ESP and do TOTR instead..but I know the ESB is so iconic that many feel it is a must do.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Empire State Building and Skyride

I know this doesn't answer your question but you have to know that going to the Empire State Building is really not the best decision for many reasons. What you really should do is go to the Top of the Rock at Rockafeller Center. Anyone who has EVER gone to both will tell you hands down it was a much better experience. The view is 1,000x better and it's got much more elbow room. You can compare reviews here:

www.yelp.com/biz/top-of-the-rock-new-york

yelp.com/.../empire-state-building-new-york

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,838 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Empire State Building and Skyride

The sky ride is a WASTE of time and money. It's dumb, dumb, dumb!!!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Empire State Building and Skyride

First and foremost if you do end up going to the ESB definitely give the skyride a pass. It is really lame.... with respect to the ESB compared to the TOTR it all depends on whether you have been dreaming about visiting thie Iconic Ny Landmark for a long time and have been mesmerized by movies like "an affair to remember and Sleepless in Seattle" or you are just looking for a high up in the sky view from any building---- I still have never been to TOTR but have been to the ESB many times---- regarding the express pass--- it all depends on when you go--- considering that the ESB is open until 2am there are lots and lots of times when you can walk in but during many hours it is a long wait. It has never been too long for me to get upset.. I would not commit to a specific time ahead of time since you want to maximize your view and there are some days when the view is non existent.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Empire State Building and Skyride

Just another vote AGAINST the Skyride. It's a complete waste.

Rent "Across the Sea of Time" instead.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112286/

Toronto, Ont
Level Contributor
260 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Empire State Building and Skyride

So, would you suggest getting the express pass or just stick with regular pass, and wait for 30min to an hour for the elavetor in ESB? Also, I understand that there are 3 lines one has to stand in at ESB: securing, ticket booth and then elevator.... the express pass says that it will get me to the front of the lines... I am assuming that they mean the elavetor line, as you cannot by-pass securing, and since I am holding a ticket I would not stand in line for it.

Also, why the discrepancy in prices between the official ESB website and the SkyRide web?

Thanks,

Hammy

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Empire State Building and Skyride

Your wait time will be dependent on day and time of day.. If you go in the middle of the day and a bus load of church folks come in from Peoria you could wait a long time--- go at 11pm on a Tuesday night there may be no wait at all. It depends on how much your time is worth to you... I live here so if I went and the line was enormous I would just turn around and go home and try another day---- as a tourist I might have a different feeling. I personally would not pay a lot to skip the line but how are you going to feel if you pay all that money and you could have just breezed in.. Given the nature of more tourists to be here Thursday to Monday I can tell you that Tuesdays and Wednesdays are less crowded.. If you are looking at the combo ticket for the skyride despite the warnings that price probably is not an express ticket.

Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
207 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Empire State Building and Skyride

We went up the ESB three weeks ago on as Monday afternoon and there was no waiting. We also did TOTR the following week and there was no wait for that either. Enjoyed both but preferred TOTR.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
349 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Empire State Building and Skyride

The skyride is really just a gimmick cannot belive they charge so much for it.

I have been to the ESB three times and the TOTR once and for me it will always be the ESB.

I don't know how well the fast tickets work, ESB is funny I have waited for an hour at midnight to go up and got straight up at lunchtime on another visit both in June.

If you have the time get a normal ticket, stand in the line it will be an experience possibly complaining but an experience all the same. You can think of all the things you are going to spend those extra $22 on.

Toronto, Ont
Level Contributor
260 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Empire State Building and Skyride

Thanks all for the info... I thought that this was a gimmick and my gut feeling was to skip the Skyride and the Express ticket and just go with the regular. I am planning to be there on Thursday July 1st at about 10 or 11am...

Plus I can always have my hubby stand in line, while I go to Macey's ;)

Thanks;

Hammy