We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chelsea Garden Apartment - 212 Suites

Australia
5 posts
Save Topic
Chelsea Garden Apartment - 212 Suites

Can someone please help confirm whether the following apartment and website is legitimate?

212suites.com/3-Bedroom-nyc-vacation-rentals…

We have made a reservation and paid a deposit - however, we are now being alerted to stories that this is in fact a scam. We fear that upon arrival, we would have no place to stay!

Some help and colour would be appreciated.

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chelsea Garden Apartment - 212 Suites

Read the posting "Most Short term Apartments to be Illegal" further down this list. That should answer your question!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chelsea Garden Apartment - 212 Suites

It very likely is a scam. I would have alternative plans ready. Three bedroom apartments in Manhattan are very rare and reserved for the rich.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chelsea Garden Apartment - 212 Suites

also Brooklyn Bridge gave you a good reply on your other thread

Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chelsea Garden Apartment - 212 Suites

Thanks for feedback thus far. Just a bit more detail to provide to all and to possibly allow others to benefit from my experience

It is supposedley in Chelsea 410 West 22 St but I have not received a unit number even though we have already booked. We are paying $440/night. Another thing that triggered suspicion was the email address that the booking confirmation was sent from was 212suites@gmail.com and there was no booking confirmation number attached - so how do they keep track of my reservation?

We called the number on the booking confirmation, the guy (named Dan) was pleasant and indicated that he managed the NY properties on behalf of an agency called "AAA Astoria Realty" which is based in Long Island City, Queens. Did a search for a website and got a pretty amateur looking site. Also asked about who balance of payment should be made out to and was informed Big Apple Sublet LLC. I have also seen another post on TA warning about this site.

I know it is probably a bit too late regarding our deposit of 20% which we paid recently but if you have any experiences with this apartment or website pls comment. I have already seen the recent one posted

Also if this is a scam I hope that TA will remove it off their site. See TA post below and reviews...

tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g28953-…

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chelsea Garden Apartment - 212 Suites

Have you missed all the posts telling you that short-term apartments for tourists are illegal in NYC? I'm not sure what else you need to know.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,770 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Chelsea Garden Apartment - 212 Suites

Ask the guy for your deposit back - let him know that you learned that it was not legit from TripAdvisor.

How did you pay for the deposit? If by credit card you should have no problem but somehow I doubt you paid that way.

Now that you know what you know about it, try to get the deposit back and if not, then maybe write if off as a learning experience and find yourself legitimate accommodations.

Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Chelsea Garden Apartment - 212 Suites

AlicePalace, actually I've read them all. Unfortunately, this was done post-booking. My posting was merely to confirm my suspicions and to highlight another example of what I suspected to be a scam.

MomCat1992, I paid by credit card, Western Union or some other transfer would've set alarm bells off earlier.

I will try to see what can be done but appreciate all your comments

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chelsea Garden Apartment - 212 Suites

If those photos accurately depict the apartment, it's an unauthorized conversion of a couple of apartments into 1 duplex unit; the City's Department of Buildings online files indicate no work permit was sought, or granted, for that construction:

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/JobsQueryByLocationServlet?requestid=8&allbin=1078447&allstrt=WEST+++22+STREET&allnumbhous=410

Which means you have no assurance that important construction & fire safety regulations were observed.

Re: this particular apartment: I don't like the fact that photos of all 3 bedrooms are not provided [2 photos are obviously of the same bedroom]; it looks to me like the main floor is actually in the basement, which they've not seen fit to mention. FYI, the building at 410 W. 22nd Street is not owned by AAA Astoria Realty, but the principal of AAA Astoria is Jean Beneat, who has his fingers in lot of pies including Big Apple Sublet and a more recent, fledgling venture, Promo Holiday.

As for for 212Suites in general, I stand by my observations/comments in an earlier thread re: this operation:

* This "company" is not registered with the State as a corporation or business entity; it's really nothing more than a snazzier-looking version of Craigslist (where they also advertise). If you look at the FAQ's, you'll notice that they do not own or manage any of the apartments, do not claim to have verified the apartments, even superficially. And there's that all-encompassing disclaimer on the web site, stating that the listings "are subject to errors, omissions, changes, including price, or withdrawal without notice."

* I cannot endorse the idea of renting an apartment (even if it's one of the rare ones rightly offered for short-term vacation rental) from strangers are not transparent in their dealings, who registered their domain name through a proxy to conceal their true identity, who don't vet the apartments offered -- and where you have to pay for your stay in cash, money order or check upon arrival, leaving you with no meaningful recourse if something is awry. See, e.g., posts 90 and 93 in this thread re: Big Apple Sublet:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k3182600…

Some other negative experiences with Big Apple Sublet are to be found in this thread, which the forum's Search function might not have retrieved for you:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1861562…

Edited: 03 July 2010, 17:40
9. Re: Chelsea Garden Apartment - 212 Suites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2010, 15:06
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,625 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Chelsea Garden Apartment - 212 Suites

TripAdvisor is the most trusted provider of travel advice because of the reviews and forums. Not because of their advertisements. That's all their vacation rentals section is - a series of advertisements. TripAdvisor has decided to continue posting illegal rentals - and hotels, including some that have been shut down already - in their sections for people to review. All we can do here is continue to warn people that these are illegal/illicit, and that you risk eviction if you stay in one of them.