We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excelsior Hotel

Portskewett, United...
Level Contributor
838 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Excelsior Hotel

Hello All,

My friends are going to New York in March - they are looking at the Excelsior Hotel.

Anyone stayed there? It has mixed reviews on the review part of trip advisor. Also, I wondered if its a bit far up from everything being on 81st St when they will probably go to all the "normal" attractions ie ESB Staute of Liberty.

Any views?

Sarah

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Excelsior Hotel

I've noticed it gets mixed reviews. Most of the negatives seem to do with unfriendliness.

But I just love the location! Half a block from Central Park, across the street from the Museum of Natural History. If you've got a view of 81st St., you look out over the little green park next to the museum and the fabulous new planetarium... beautiful at night.

The C/E subway is right across the street, the 1/9 is a few short blocks away, on Broadway & 79th St. The crosstown bus stops across the street, so if you don't feel like walking across the park to the Metropolitan Museum and east side, that's easy.

If you go out to the theater at night, it's a direct bus ride home. Very easy to do, and pretty quick.

I think this is our nicest neighborhood. It's an upscale residential area, with great shops and restaurants, it's fun to explore at all hours.

Other UWS hotels to compare are the Lucerne, Beacon, Belleclaire, On the Ave.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excelsior Hotel

I also love the location. Transport is easy from the Upper West Side to anywhere. I think a better bet in the same price range and location would be The Lucerne. They might want to check it out.

Portskewett, United...
Level Contributor
838 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excelsior Hotel

Cheers both,

I will pass on your comments

I stayed in the Affinia Dumont and loved it so was being a bit biased in my advice to them!!!!!!!

Sarah