We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EWR / JFK hotels and transportation

Montreal
Level Contributor
585 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
EWR / JFK hotels and transportation

We fly into EWR on a Friday at 8:30pm and out from JFK on Saturday at 8am. And into JFK and out of of EWR the following weekend, also requiring one overnight.

With this in mind, I need to decide on transportation and hotel.

I have reviwed a couple of threads that suggested renting a car at the respective airports.

I guess a hotel close to JFK the first Friday and another close to EWR the second Saturday would make sense?

Any specific advice is most welcome...

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,407 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: EWR / JFK hotels and transportation

Why would you need a car? I would stay near Penn Station rather than near either airport.

2. Re: EWR / JFK hotels and transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2010, 14:02
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: EWR / JFK hotels and transportation

#1. the person who made these arrangements needs to be fired....or shot

#2 Renting a car is the worst idea possible

#3 Take public transport or a taxi

#4. As was stated, hotels near the airports are usually gross. Stay in Manhattan, a place near Penn Station, served by both NY Transit (EWR) and Long Island Rail Road (JFK) would be a good alternative

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,527 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: EWR / JFK hotels and transportation

Staying at Penn station in Mannhattan is definitely one idea. The trains to/from both airports go there and there are quite a few hotels around the station. The price of transport is ~ $15/person per trip to/from each airport....so $15 x 2 for EWR to NYC and $15 x 2 for NYC to JFK or $60 for both of you from airport to airport. A car service for door to door service would be ~ $100.

dial7.com

carmellimo.com

are the cheap but usually reliable options. If you stay in Manhattan, the train or an express bus for the same price (those come/go from Port Authority bus terminal and there are lots of hotels near there too) makes good sense. But if you decide to stay at an airport hotel, the car service is somewhat better because the public transport go to the airports rather than to the hotels. Once you get to the airport on the train, you'll need a hotel shuttle to any of the airports.

If your JFK flight is at 8am, that means you have to be there at 5 am if it's international or 6 am for domestic (btw, whoever made this plan for you should be made to suffer imo ;) so I can understand wanting to already be out at JFK. Just understand there's NOTHING to do/see/eat near the airport. Some hotels will have restaurants and they may have menus for delivery. There's somewhat more to do around EWR.

Yes, you can rent a car which gives you some freedom to stop for dinner somewhere and it might be cheaper. But if this is during the summer, Fri. night traffic to JFK is AWFUL with everyone going to the beach for the weekend. I repeat, I hope you saved a fortune to be doing this very inconvenient airport switchover.

At JFK the Courtyard and the Hampton Inn are both decent.

Montreal
Level Contributor
585 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: EWR / JFK hotels and transportation

Thanks for the advice.

We are a travelling w/ our two daughters (3 and 6).

Our dates are late Feb early March.

Not looking to do anything other than sleep and be as close to respective airports as possible.

Strikes me as absurd to consider staying in Manhattan.

All this to save $2,000 on airfare from Mtl to Barbados...

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,527 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: EWR / JFK hotels and transportation

I sure hope you have no weather delays to screw this up. I don't think it would be asburd at all to stay in Manhattan if your outbound flight wasn't so early. If you're saving $2,000 on airfare, do yourself a favor and spend some money on a car service from the airport to the airport hotel so you're not schlepping 2 small kids and luggage on trains and buses. I'd use

dial7.com

and upgrade to their luxury service. Keep in mind taxis and car services are not required to have children's carseats though so if this is a problem for you, Legends limo will provide childseats

http://www.legendslimousine.com/faq

7. Re: EWR / JFK hotels and transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2011, 07:24