We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

URGENT-Lost wallet

Athens
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
URGENT-Lost wallet

I lost somewhere in NYC my wallet with my credit cards, some cash and my driver's license issued in Germany in it. I already canceled my credit cards but i am worried about my driver's license as I have booked a rental car next week in Las Vegas.

First of all what should i do?Should I go to the police and file a report about my lost wallet?Do I have to pay for it?

How will I be able to rent a car next week without my license?Please help!!!

ohio
Level Contributor
434 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: URGENT-Lost wallet

You won't be able to rent a car without your license. Is there anyone else in your party with a driver's license?

Yes make a police report for sure.

If you think you may have left it in a taxi, which we had someone do once, call the number you see on every taxi in NYC and report it lost. We got lucky and my son's friends wallet was turned in. The cash was taken but at least the I.D. was left.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: URGENT-Lost wallet

No charge for the police report, but you will not be able to rent a car without a valid drivers license.

ohio
Level Contributor
434 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: URGENT-Lost wallet

what car company are you renting from next week? I can make a phone call. I'm a corporate travel agent and I'm willing to call whomever it is in Vegas, be it Avis, National or whoever and I'll ask what they suggest

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,578 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: URGENT-Lost wallet

If you know where you lost it, or have an idea of where it might be, you should call that place and ask if they have it. They may be holding it and unaware of how to get in touch with you. You can file a police report, but I doubt it will do much. Call the rental agency and explain the situation, and ask what you should do. Can you get a temporary license overnight mailed to you from Germany?

Athens
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: URGENT-Lost wallet

We booked with Alamo.Thank u so much.

My girlfriend has also a driver's license but as we will be driving a lot she wont be able to do all the driving by herself. Would it be too dangerous to rent the car with my girlfriend's license and then drive both?

There is no way to get a temporary license.

Edited: 28 July 2010, 17:32
Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: URGENT-Lost wallet

If a police officer pulls you over and finds you driving without a license, you will likely be arrested. Maybe your embassy can help? They have a UN consulate in NY.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: URGENT-Lost wallet

Many years ago, I forgot my driving licence when going on holiday to Orlando. I was able to fax the licensing authority in Swansea who faxed me back a copy of it within the hour. This was acceptable for the car hire company we used. In these days of emails, it might be worth getting in touch with the agency in Germany to see if they can do something similar.

ohio
Level Contributor
434 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: URGENT-Lost wallet

Fotis,

Tell your girlfriend to be prepared to drive. I just spoke with the McCarren location directly. They will not rent a car without a valid license in your hand. They also will not accept any kind of photo copied documentation.

So you have two things to consider and it's up to you how you want to handle it.

Have your girlfriend rent the car in her name and she does all of the driving.

or

You can certainly take the chance of driving the vehicle, but it's true that if you do get pulled over by a policeman you could get into trouble. Maybe you would have an officer who is sympathetic to the situation, maybe not.

My husband and I just took a 1800 mile trip all over California and never got pulled over, but you never know.

Best of luck to you.

ohio
Level Contributor
434 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: URGENT-Lost wallet

Their local phone number in case you need it is 702-263-8411

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,508 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: URGENT-Lost wallet

Also very important to consider if you are in an accident and you are driving, you need to understand what the potential legal problems you will have with having your insurance cover damages and/or injuries. If you violate the rental agreement, I'm pretty sure you will not be granted coverage for damages if you are in accident with you behind the wheel. What you are considering is a very risky proposition. Drive less distance each day if she gets tired would be my recommendation.

Also - I am assuming your girlfriend is 25 years old or older as that is the age requirement for renting a car.