We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manhattan bar with view to bring our own wine to

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
88 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Manhattan bar with view to bring our own wine to

My husband and I are celebrating our wedding anniversary in NYC in a couple weekends and we wanted to find a rooftop bar or bar/restaurant with a good view to bring in our own bottle of wine to enjoy. Our idea was to find a place where we could bring in a bottle of wine we got a Napa the previous year to have along with an appitizer (from the bar/restaurant) late afternoon/early evening before we start our night. A place with a cheese plate would be ideal! :) I'm concerned about finding a place we could make a reservation for, however am hoping if we did it at 4 or 5 pm, we would beat the dinner rush. I need ideas on a location please!!

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,826 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manhattan bar with view to bring our own wine to

I think finding a restaurant with a view that doesn't expect you to buy its wine will be a challenge.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Manhattan bar with view to bring our own wine to

Can you do this in Boston - are you serious?

I've seen some strange posts - maybe it was the third glass of wine I had at dinner tonight - tthis seems very bizarre to me.

Edited: 29 July 2010, 01:56
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
88 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manhattan bar with view to bring our own wine to

We bring our own wine to restaurants in Boston. Most good retaurants welcome it and simply charge a corkage fee. Maybe I should be focusing on finding a restaurant versus a bar to reserve a spot at for apps and then inquire if they will allow us to bring our own bottle in....does that change any of your thoughts of places??

One of my friends suggested simply taking our bottle to Central Park -- are you allowed to do that??

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Manhattan bar with view to bring our own wine to

Discreetly - I believe there is an 'official' no alcohol policy for CP and other NYC parks.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
88 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manhattan bar with view to bring our own wine to

OK - let's try this...I found this link on another forum for BYOB's in NYC

www.winedanddined.com/2009/04/nyc-byo-lis/

There is a list of NYC retaruants that allow to you bring your own wine in (some charge a corkage fee which i'm fine with). Does anyone know if any of these have a good view or outdoor/roofdeck dining area?

Thanks!!!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,632 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Manhattan bar with view to bring our own wine to

You definitely want a restaurant, not a bar, and I would expect any restaurant to expect you to order actual food, not a cheese plate, if you're bringing your own bottle in. Do restaurants in Boston generally let you pay the corkage fee and sit at a table without ordering more than a single appetizer to share?

Places with views tend to charge more, not less, and tend to be more restrictive in their policies, not less. Alcohol isn't allowed in Central Park, and while you will see people with bottles of wine picnicking at events like Philharmonic concerts, on regular days I wouldn't try to bring an undisguised bottle to the park - it's not consistently enforced, but it is enforced.

Also, make sure you understand that that list you found is more than a year old, and was published at the height of the recession. Many places will have changed their policies between then and now - always call ahead.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Manhattan bar with view to bring our own wine to

Why don't you GOOGLE the name of the restaurant and possibly give them a call to ascertain the information you are seeking.

Poppa

South Jersey
Level Contributor
2,983 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manhattan bar with view to bring our own wine to

You can't bring alcohol to a NYC park:

http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_faqs/faq.html

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manhattan bar with view to bring our own wine to

Another idea might be to splurge on a hotel room with a great view or a balcony and enjoy your bottle of wine there. You could order up from room service or visit a cheese shop earlier in the day and assemble your own. Also, where do you go for BYO here in Boston? I'm always looking for places like that.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,063 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Manhattan bar with view to bring our own wine to

If you read carefully what that weblink says, many of those restaurants had generous byob while waiting for a liquor license. The only one on the list that comes close to having a view is the Modern at MOMA and that's on Sunday nights for no corkage fee. If you're willing to pay, they may do it for another night. The bar area has small plates (but no view). The view in the restaurant is of the sculpture garden, not the city.

One of the loveliest views I know is at the outdoor terrace of the River Cafe sitting under the Brooklyn Bridge and facing the East River & Manhattan (this assumes it's no 100 degrees). They have a $25/person minimum to sit out there, but they do have a cheese plate and if you're willing to pay the min. regardless, I don't see they'd say no but I'd phone first to make sure it's not being used by a private function and that they'll oblige.

rivercafe.com

If you go to the gallery tour and click on deck, you'll see photos.

Robert restaurant in the Museum of Art & Design at Columbus Circle has a wonderful view of Central Park. They serve small plates & dessert from 3:30-5:30 and might be willing to accommodate you at that time.

http://www.arkrestaurants.com/robert.html