We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in Midtown Over Christmas

Mechanicsville, MD
Level Contributor
191 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel in Midtown Over Christmas

I'm hoping to ask for your help from the local experts one more time! Planning a second trip to NYC Dec 23 - Dec 26. Have tickets to see the Christmas Spectacular at RCMH on Dec 25 at 1:00pm. Had planned to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn since the rate I saw on their website was $199 per night (and could cancel.) Went to book and that was only the first night, $369 for the other two nights. So I'm rethinking my hotel. Am looking for somewhere maybe less than 1 mile (that's not set in stone) from RCMH/Rockefeller Plaza (it will be colder and would like to walk to the show, tree, shopping, skating, Christmas markets etc .) Would like to spend $400 or less (before tax). King room at least 300 sq ft. The problem is my hubby would really like a decent gym to work out at. I kind of like a boutique type hotel, but would be happy with a modern place that's newer. Am looking at the Intercontinental Times Square, the Michelangelo, Renaissance Times Square, and the Irqoquis. Open to any other ideas. Would you all mind giving me your opinions? Have read the reviews and am just trying to figure out a good place. It's Christmas and would like something nice.... (I checked the Palace and others and they were a bit too pricey.) Thank you!!

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel in Midtown Over Christmas

A personal favorite is The Blakely Hotel (blakelyny.com) on W. 55th St, just a short walk to Rockefeller Center, Radio City, Central Park, 5th Avenue shopping and Broadway theatres. This is a small hotel and considered boutique although the rooms are spacious with elegant, traditional English country manor decor. On your dates a king bed room (310 sq. ft.) is averaging 236.67 per night. A one bedroom king suite (525 sq, ft) is $50 more per night. All rooms have a kitchenette, a beautiful marble bath and continental breakfast is included in the adjacent restaurant, Abboccato. There is a fitness center also. Look at oyster.com to see many pictures of The Blakely.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,511 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel in Midtown Over Christmas

Did you mean $400 for the 3 nights or per night??? If that's a per night budget, the London would be a good option and is $345/night on oyster.com

All their rooms are suites. The Michelangelo would be another good option with big rooms/bathrooms and a great location (near the Blakely). It's $277/night on oyster and I'd also look on quikbook and kayak. Their gym is small though.

The Warwick is practically across the street from Radio City and is a smaller, historic hotel with good sized rooms. The decor is a bit passe though.

As for the the other hotels you list, they're all nice but not as close to Radio City. The Palace is $399/night on oyster and I don't think that's a bad price for a very special hotel in a great location for Xmas and your purposes. I also think you might see some specials/sales for your dates a bit closer. I'd try to book something now that's cancelable though.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,254 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel in Midtown Over Christmas

Hilton Times Square comes up at $799 including tax for three nights on the Hilton website for one king bed (330 square ft) for two persons. You can lower this by making a prepaid reservation or probably if you have a AAA card. I haven't stayed there but I have a room reserved in December and it gets good reviews. It is within walking distance of Radio City.

Mechanicsville, MD
Level Contributor
191 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel in Midtown Over Christmas

Thanks for the great info. Yes, I meant $400 per night. I had also looked at the Blakely (and will again now.) The Palace seemed like a dream..., but I thought if I can get something nice that was more boutique for a bit less, that would be my preferrable option. I do plan to make a canceable reservation now and see if I find a better price closer to our travel dates. Thanks again!

memphis, tn
Level Contributor
829 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel in Midtown Over Christmas

The Hilton is so big and it takes 15 minutes to get from your room to the street. I like the Shoreham and the Chambers. Both are in great location. Both are botique hotels. Can't beat either for location.

6. Re: Hotel in Midtown Over Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2011, 06:17