We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rockefeller Center

Europe
Level Contributor
606 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Rockefeller Center

Hi.

Could you please give me some insight on what to do and see (musts) at the Rockefeller Center? Apart of the Top of the Rock.

Thank you.

Edited: 02 August 2010, 15:39
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rockefeller Center

The Today show films there, and you often get lotsa idiots mugging for the cameras. The Top of the Rock is one of the best places for the sky high view of Manhattan. Of course during winter, lots of folks go to skate or to watch the skaters. There is also some sort of tradition with a tree that I have heard mention of.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rockefeller Center

NBC Studio tour is fun. Ice skating in winter. St. Patrick's Cathedral is across 5th Avenue.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rockefeller Center

In addition to the above, you can take a tour of the center itself which focuses largely on all of the artwork. Tours of Radio City Music Hall are also available. Across the street, in addition to St Patrick's is the Saks Fifth Avenue flagship store, if you are interested in shopping.

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rockefeller Center

Just being at “ Rockefeller Center ”

Europe
Level Contributor
606 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rockefeller Center

Should I book in advance those tours (NBC, RCMH, the center itself)? When does the ice skating "season" starts?

Edited: 02 August 2010, 15:58
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,025 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rockefeller Center

All the info and options are here

rockefellercenter.com/index.php/…

The ice rink opens in Oct. but not sure exactly when. The NBC tour is not a must for most people unless you have a real interest in touring a tv studio but if you're interested in art and architecture, a tour of the buildings is very good.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rockefeller Center

You can purchase a combination ticket that gives you TOTR and the Rockefeller Center art/architecture/history tour for $30, which saves you a few dollars.

topoftherocknyc.com/specialoffers/…

The tour itself is $15

topoftherocknyc.com/specialoffers/…

and you'd have to pay at least $18 to visit TOTR. The price for TOTR is ordinarily $21, but here's a $3 discount coupon if you're not interested in the Rockefeller Center tour:

www.theatermania.com/extras/TopOfTheRock/

NY NY
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rockefeller Center

Here's some more info on the art and history of Rockefeller Center:

http://www.thecityreview.com/rock.html

BrooklynMel -- I don't think fans of the Today Show would appreciate being called idiots. You might not be a fan of the show, but many non-idiots enjoy it.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Rockefeller Center

idiots - perfect description for some of the idiots who line up at the TODAY show and try to get on camera.

Years ago when the hosts first started coning out to greet the public - it was more of a refined scene - my wife and I happened on that occurrence a couple of times - met Katie Couric and Al Roker.

It's too commercial for me now - esp. with the concerts.

Poppa

NY NY
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rockefeller Center

So, now that you no longer go, the audience is less refined and fans are idiots? Nice.