We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pub showing 2010 AFL grand final

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Pub showing 2010 AFL grand final

Hi Everyone

I will be in New York on Saturday 25th September - AFL grand final day - and would love to be able to watch the grand final live. I'm a Collingwood supporter - don't hate me! - and my daughter's boyfriend of three years plays for them, so I would hate to miss it. Does anyone know of a pub/hotel in New York that will be telecasting the game live?

Thank you

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pub showing 2010 AFL grand final

I would imagine that 8 Mile Creek http://www.eightmilecreek.com/index.htm will be showing the game as they regularly broadcast live AFL games.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pub showing 2010 AFL grand final

8 mile was one of the first Aussie bars in NYC and remains a great choice. Other choices would include:

The Austrailian somewhat farther up town:

www.theaustraliannyc.com

Sheep Station in Park Slope BK:

www.sheepstation.net

I just watch to see the funny men in the little white hats. Are there really rules?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pub showing 2010 AFL grand final

You have good responses above, and all will be showing the games. Keep in mind the bars get absolutely packed, so you do need to get there early if you want a table, or to be right at the bar.

There will also be a couple of parties going on with the games broadcast. My favorite - and given you're a *ugh* Pies supporter, probably yours too - is run by the NY Magpies, NYC's footy club. They rent out a club or bar and broadcast the games on big screens, serve decent Aussie beer (read: not Fosters) and meat pies.

www.nyfooty.com

Go Catters!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pub showing 2010 AFL grand final

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Yes, there are lots of rules. It's a great game once you get into it. I'm an academic at an Australian university and I have a lot of exchange students from California and they take to AFL like a duck to water. I kid you not, they become more obsessive than any Australian supporter I have ever known. Many of them get DVDs of the games sent back home when they return to the US and most of them become full members when they are here. I even had one guy who wore nothing but a St. Kilda (one of the teams) top to class every week.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pub showing 2010 AFL grand final

Big game this week! Go pies!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pub showing 2010 AFL grand final

Hi Mcquil, we will be in NYC for the game too. Go Pies!!

(off to check the links)

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pub showing 2010 AFL grand final

"I even had one guy who wore nothing but a St. Kilda (one of the teams) top to class every week."

I hope he wore something else as well !

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pub showing 2010 AFL grand final

Hey mcquil: you're dreamin', mate. C'mon Cats! ;)

(I've lived here for 3 years now - I was at Eight Mile Creek for the amazing Pies v Cats prelim final in 2007. Nearly chewed my fingers off, I was so nervous. My nerves were worse for the GF last year, having said that.)

New York City
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pub showing 2010 AFL grand final

also check out Wombat in Williamsburg.....may not be quite as crowded but still loud, i am sure

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pub showing 2010 AFL grand final

Yes, a Saints scarf! haha