We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breakfast near the Algonquin Hotel

Studley, Virginia
5 posts
Save Topic
Breakfast near the Algonquin Hotel

To calm the hungry beast in the family, I must have available several reasonably priced places to eat breakfast that are within approx. 4 blocks of the Algonquin Hotel. We are not looking for a "dining experience" - no minosas, quiches, etc. - just simple breakfast food. Not yet got a handle of what to expect as far as prices in NYC - something not to exceed $15 (if possible). No greasy spoons, please, but a nice place to jump-start a day of touring! Looking for things such as eggs, bacon, omelets, pancakes, cereal, etc. Breakfast buffet perhaps.? Trying to avoid hotel places since I'm not willing to pay $45 for a cup of coffee, yogurt and a muffin.

Real New York Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Free Tours by Foot
Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Night Tours, Food Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - New York
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
NYC Horse Carriage Rides
Horse-Drawn Carriage Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Breakfast near the Algonquin Hotel

As you walk out of the Algonquin, to your immediate right, is a small diner -- they serve an adequate and reasonably priced breakfast (eggs, pancakes, that sort of think) -- I think the name is the Red Flame?

If you walk a block and half to Bryant Park you can hit the Wichcraft Kiosk for coffee and pastries and sit at a table in the park -- it's a nice way to start the day also.

Central Village...
Level Contributor
17,928 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Breakfast near the Algonquin Hotel

No 'greasy spoons' well most diners are nicknamed gs's - I would consider the Red Flame a greasy spoon, however I have eaten there and it is perfectly adequate, every restaurant in NYC has to pass health inspections - so perhaps you might reconsider your use of the term greasy spoon.

These are the places that are going to be in your price range.

I like the Cafe Edison on 47 W 47th at the Edison Hotel.

Buffets, especially breakfast are very rare in NYC.

Poppa

Edited: 06 August 2010, 02:43
New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,159 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breakfast near the Algonquin Hotel

I think Cafe Edison is a good choice it is in a hotel but no "$45 cups of coffee", you should be able to eat for $15.

You can look around as there are a lot of coffee shops and bakeries, and decide which appeals to you the most. When we travel we plan to try all these restaurants but we usually have the best food when we just follow our nose to a place close to the place we planned to go to.

Also there is a good bagel shop near by if you want to give that a try one day.

menupages.com/restaurants/…

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Breakfast near the Algonquin Hotel

The Red Flame will give you exactly what you're looking for in omelets, bacon, sausage,cereals, scrambled eggs, pancakes, hash, fruit, cereal, yoghurt, etc.

It's a diner but it's not a dirty diner (which is what 'greasy spoon' invokes). You'd probably only find your requested items in a diner anyway.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,942 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Breakfast near the Algonquin Hotel

I agree with Poppa that the Red Flame is a greasy spoon, but a popular one. I would prefer Cranberry Deli or Le Pain Quotidien near Bryant Park.

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Breakfast near the Algonquin Hotel

Cranberry Deli reviews look great. We'll try it next time. It's convenient to the The Iroquois too.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60763-d12…

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Breakfast near the Algonquin Hotel

The Red Flame is closed for construction and no reopening date is posted yet. Though they used to be very good. As for other choices walk on down towards 5th Avenue and you will find many other places that will give you a decent breakfast. Or walk up to 44th and Brodway to Times Square Bagel (all bagels made fresh on property) shop next door to Carmine's Restaurant. There is always a line for bagels and its about as cheap as you get, but very filling.

As for reasonable price, well you are in NYC after all and the prices are not as cheap as one thinks.

8. Re: Breakfast near the Algonquin Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2011, 06:18