We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

$14 charge for ESTA coming in September

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
$14 charge for ESTA coming in September

Apply for your Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (Esta) now as you will have to pay $14 for it from September 9th. See here for the full article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10899968

1. Re: $14 charge for ESTA coming in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 August 2010, 00:10
2. Re: $14 charge for ESTA coming in September

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 August 2010, 02:05
Edited: 07 August 2010, 02:05
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: $14 charge for ESTA coming in September

Lotus - the US does exactly the same thing. Entering any US consulate overseas requires you to go through security and have an appointment. And they charge by the minute for phone enquiries, too.

4. Re: $14 charge for ESTA coming in September

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 August 2010, 01:23
Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: $14 charge for ESTA coming in September

Well, I'd love to know what was said that got Jane so busy with her censor's red pencil! I'm guessing Lotus has seen something in that article to which he objects going by Kate's comment.

Despite that, I would go along with the comments in the article by Martin Lewis of www.moneysavingexpert.com and urge people to apply for their ESTA now even if they're only a considering a trip to the USA in the next 2 years.

Mentioned in this post
Jane
Jane
411 Reviews
New York City, NY
United States
United States
North America
London, England
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: $14 charge for ESTA coming in September

Might also be an idea to give the Official U.S. Government Web Site address from which, prior to 9 September at least, the ESTA is issued free of charge.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/

Don't get conned by other sites bearing a similar name which impose a charge for exactly the same thing, and are nothing to do with the US government.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: $14 charge for ESTA coming in September

*** Well, I'd love to know what was said that got Jane so busy with her censor's red pencil! I'm guessing Lotus has seen something in that article to which he objects ***

LOL ..... well Nic ..... maybe she was just playing 'our song' ...... AGAIN !!!

www.youtube.com/watch…

Play it again <3

Edited: 08 August 2010, 16:18
Mentioned in this post
Jane
Jane
411 Reviews
New York City, NY
Oxford
Level Contributor
264 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: $14 charge for ESTA coming in September

myself and my boyfriend are coming the the US at the end of Aug, starting our trip in NY. I already applied for the ESTA for both of us. Do I just bring the 2 reference numbers with me and they look it up when we go through customs or should I have some sort of print out?

Anglesey
Level Contributor
549 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: $14 charge for ESTA coming in September

We never take anything with us to do with the ESTA, they seem to have all the info there without us carrying it.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
279 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: $14 charge for ESTA coming in September

Following on from the above, a quick question.......

My son and girlfriend applied for and received authorisation for their trip back in April..... but were unable to go because of the volcanic ash situation. They are due to visit in October now. Do they need to re-apply????

thank you for your any answers in advance

Shell :)