We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has The Marriott Bought The Algonquin?

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Topic
Has The Marriott Bought The Algonquin?

From the Algonquin website:

" In preparation for the Algonquin Hotel’s affiliation with the Marriott’s Autograph Collection we will be undergoing renovation during the month of August – the first week of September. We ask that you please pardon any inconvenience during this time as we continue to improve our product."

Is this good news or no?

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
137 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,113 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
996 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,386 reviews
from US$36.00*
new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has The Marriott Bought The Algonquin?

I love Marriott's as a chain and while I live here and this means nothing to me personally I would think it to be pretty good.

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Has The Marriott Bought The Algonquin?

After posting on the breakfast thread I checked the rates at the Algonquin Hotel and saw that notice. I didn't realize the iconic Algonquin was going through a transformation. Surely Marriott wouldn't mess around with the lobby or the lobby cat. Although, look what happened to The Plaza.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has The Marriott Bought The Algonquin?

But the plaza was not Marriott --- in fact it was people who did not even want to maintain any of the space as a hotel but rather condos until they lost their shirt

on the deal-- As I remember it they were from Japan I believe (but I could be wrong)

DC
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Has The Marriott Bought The Algonquin?

The Plaza got off easy. Donald Trump had an even stupider plan. Remember when he paid way too much (aka the art of the deal) and wanted to sell rooms as condos without any renovation? He asserted that the fine quality folks who would buy wouldn't need kitchens.

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Has The Marriott Bought The Algonquin?

Maybe Marriott would have done a better job with the Plaza!

I hate change and hope not much is changed at the Algonquin.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has The Marriott Bought The Algonquin?

see if this eases your mind a bit

washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/20…

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Has The Marriott Bought The Algonquin?

Thanks, bilmin. The Autograph Collection franchise programs could be the answer to a lot of prayers.

8. Re: Has The Marriott Bought The Algonquin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2011, 08:57