We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SOL & Ellis Island

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
184 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
SOL & Ellis Island

We have booked a trip to SOL & Ellis Island at 8am one day while in NYC. Does one have to get there much earlier than 7:45am?

We booked the pedestal tickets.

How long should we expect to spend at SOL & Ellis Island? Say back at battery park by 10am?

Also just to understand, you get off on the boat at SOL, but how often do the boats go from SOL to Ellis Island?

Also how often are the boats going from Ellis Island back to SOL?

We have a fairly busy day planned this day, and just wanted to make sure we got to at the very least a taste of this site.

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Ellis Island
Ellis Island
6,434 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,231 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: SOL & Ellis Island

"How long should we expect to spend at SOL & Ellis Island? Say back at battery park by 10am?"

You're kidding, right? If you get on a boat for the SOL at 8 AM, the only way to be back at Battery Park by 10 AM is to not get off of the boat at either island. Plan to be back no earlier than noon, and that's if you really just want to skim the surface of what each island has to offer.

Mentioned in this post
Ellis Island
Ellis Island
6,434 Reviews
New York City, NY
Battery Park
Battery Park
2,256 Reviews
New York City, NY
new york
Level Contributor
121 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SOL & Ellis Island

If you have read any posts about Ellis Is. and SOL, you know to expect long lines waiting for the boat to leave Battery Park. Also airport type security. I waited in line for an hour and a half and that was early on Dec 26 in the rain so I was very lucky. I did not stop at SOL, Ellis Island at least an hour inside, moving and walking quickly, more if you do audio tour. Interactive exhibits were not working and most of the photos I had seen before. I was not that impressed. Maybe if you had family go thru there... You will have to wait in line for boats from SOL to Ellis and from Ellis back to Battery Park.

Mentioned in this post
Battery Park
Battery Park
2,256 Reviews
New York City, NY
Ellis Island
Ellis Island
6,434 Reviews
New York City, NY
new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SOL & Ellis Island

I would say you should plan on 3-5 hours for the whole experience-- of course you can just stay on the first boat, take pictures of the statue and then pictures of the reception center of Ellis Island-- and show the pictures to the folks back home. It's all about what your goal is

Mentioned in this post
Ellis Island
Ellis Island
6,434 Reviews
New York City, NY
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
654 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SOL & Ellis Island

I called Statue Cruises yesterday and they told me to be there at least half an hour earlier than the booking hour (in your case, 8 am, so you would be there at 7:30 am). One has to go through security check then (and there is a queue to pass through it). Finally, board the ferry, which according to what I have been told takes about 15 min from Battery Park to Liberty Island and being there another security check to enter the Statue of Liberty pedestal. According to what they told me the ferry frequency from Liberty Island to Ellis Island and from Ellis Island to Battery is park is 30 minutes. Well, this is what I recall of what I've been told - correct me if there's something wrong.

Mentioned in this post
Battery Park
Battery Park
2,256 Reviews
New York City, NY
Statue of Liberty
Statue of Liberty
35,912 Reviews
New York City, NY
Ellis Island
Ellis Island
6,434 Reviews
New York City, NY
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
246 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SOL & Ellis Island

we had tickets for 8a.m. a week ago and just barely made it to the line to board the ferry. when you get to battery park head straight to the ferry dock where you will go through security and then will be herded into a tent to wait in line. We boarded at approximately 8:30. plan about an hour for a quick run through of the SOL (inside pedestal there is a small museum dedicated to all things SOL) and you can climb the stairs to take pictures. once done, head back to the ferry and it will take you to Ellis Island. It will depend on how interested you are in the history of immigration that will ultimately decide how long you stay.

Based on our interests we made it back to battery park around 1pm

Mentioned in this post
Ellis Island
Ellis Island
6,434 Reviews
New York City, NY
6. Re: SOL & Ellis Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2011, 09:00