We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inwood to Battery on foot

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Inwood to Battery on foot

My wife & I are keen walkers and while we're in Manhattan this November we're thinking of walking the length of the island from Inwood Park to Battery Park.

We would very much appreciate any tips or caveats from people who know the island well since this will be our first visit to NYC (our first visit to USA). You can only get so much info from staring at a map.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,454 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inwood to Battery on foot

It's over 12 miles. Do you plan on doing it all in the same day? What do you hope to accomplish?

NY NY
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inwood to Battery on foot

Noted architectural historian Barry Lewis did the reverse walk several years ago for a PBS program called "A Walk Up Broadway."

Hopefully you can find a copy.

http://www.barrylewis.org/broadway.html

It's a long, fascinating walk. And you'll need a good foot massage at the end of it.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Inwood to Battery on foot

The route we've sketched out is about 15.5 miles which is what we consider to be a good long walk. We hope that we'll see parts of the island that tourists would normally miss and get a strong impression of what it's like to spend a day among the wide variety of cultures that make up the real New York.

Plus, we'll be able to say "We did that". We walked the length of Scotland in 4 trips for no better reason. At least this time we won't have to carry a tent :)

NY NY
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inwood to Battery on foot

Sounds like you can handle that walk! If you still have "feet" left, and are looking for something a little different along the way, I hear the Vertical Tour at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine is fabulous:

www.stjohndivine.org/pe_forthcoming.html

By the way, I would start at the Battery. New York was settled from the southern tip, so it's only right to begin your walk there.

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inwood to Battery on foot

Inwood Park, great place to start or finish. You can visit the site where Peter Minuit bought the Island for the Dutch.

www.flickr.com/photos/jag9889/2118131865/

www.nycgovparks.org/parks/inwoodhillpark

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inwood to Battery on foot

I love it ! I have never heard of anyone doing this, but I do not see why to hardy walkers could not do the walk. The longest walk that I took in NYC was from Columbia University on 116th Street to Greenwich Village.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,745 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inwood to Battery on foot

Actually the shorewalkers do the perimeter of Manhattan on the first Saturday in may every year. www.shorewalkers.org

You'll enjoy and I agree you should stop in at St John the Divine and do the vertical tour if it fits with your schedule.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,729 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inwood to Battery on foot

You'll have one major valley (at 125th Street) but otherwise reasonably flat. One of the virtues of this route is that it's along the subway for pretty much the entire route, so if you decide to stop and do the rest of it on another day, just hop on the 1 train.

If you're going to be a real purist about covering the length of Manhattan, you should start or end at Marble Hill (225th Street.) This is just across the Harlem River on the Broadway Bridge, but it's part of Manhattan. The original river ran to the north, but the current waterway was cut through as a ship canal.

I've always wanted to do this, so if you do in fact carry out your plan please report on your experiences.

Edited: 12 August 2010, 01:17
Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inwood to Battery on foot

My daughter has lived in the East Village for the last year and her idea of a really good time is to "take a walk.' It's how she "relieves stress." She very often left her place at 10th and Broadway and zoned out until she realized she was in Harlem. She found it to be invigorating and completely relaxing at the same time. Her stroll back home often included stops along the way. I think it's a brilliant idea for avid walkers. I agree with please post and let us know how it goes for you.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Inwood to Battery on foot

I have done part of this walk many years ago (at least 35 years ago) from 105th Street all the way down to the Battery. I can tell you that after that one time on a perfect fall day, I would never do it again. Mind you it was not a straight walk since the friend I walked it with decided to walk all over the village when we got there late in the afternoon. But still it was a fun way to see the city which you would otherwise miss out on.

Edited: 12 August 2010, 01:47