We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four Points by Sheraton Midtown - Times Square

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
54 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Four Points by Sheraton Midtown - Times Square

Hi! Any feedback on the location and this hotel? I have a large list of hotels to choose from for a business trip, but with any Sheraton, I can obtain points for future stays. Traveling with my husband and this is our first trip to New York. Others on the list I can choose from include: Roosevelt Hotel, Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, and the Westin New York Times Square (I can also obtain points at the Westin). Any help would be great! Thanks!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Four Points by Sheraton Midtown - Times Square

Of those I would go with the Westin . As I am sure you know the Four Points is the bottom of the rankings of the Starwood family and the Westin among the top. It really is not right in Times Square but an avenue away. The Four Points is I believe on 40th street next to the Port Authority Bus Terminal and more gritty than even the 8th ave location.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Four Points by Sheraton Midtown - Times Square

I'll offer another consideration in light of the fact you mention this will be a business trip: will you be needing/wanting Internet access in your room? 'net access at both the Crowne Plaza and the Westin is expensive and "iffy". It's free at the Four Points, and I'm not seeing any complaints in the reviews about the service. In general, it's the more value-conscious hotels and boutique hotels that provide free WiFi... and because they're typically smaller properties, the Internet service is often better than at places where you have to pay for it.

Does your company cap the amount of money it's willing to cover for NYC accommodations? Hotel prices vary widely throughout the year, so if there's a maximum you're allotted, that -- and availability -- will limit your choices.

P.S. Since Four Points properties are part of the Starwood family and stays at a Four Points ordinarily earn Starpoints, I'm at a loss to explain why you wouldn't rack up points staying there?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,488 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Four Points by Sheraton Midtown - Times Square

I'd pick the Westin or the Crowne Plaza before the Four Points but you haven't indicated the differences in price.

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
54 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Four Points by Sheraton Midtown - Times Square

We are allowed to pick from the list and all hotels listed are on the list, so price as far as business travel is not a problem; however, I am going to extend my stay and pay for a couple of nights on my (our) own. With this in mind, I really don't want to hotel hop, so it's seems that although the Crowne and Westin are toward the top of the list, the Four Points Sheraton may fit my personal budget as well as rack up points the entire time that I am there. We will be busy and not really staying in the hotel much, so with this in mind - is it that bad?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,488 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Four Points by Sheraton Midtown - Times Square

Depends on your definition of "bad" There was a report of bed bugs at the hotel just a month ago and I'm very squeemish about that. I also don't like the fact that there was no one on duty to help these people.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d1464151…

I also don't personally like the location on a block very far west with a lot of other hotels. But other travelers give it good reviews as does oyster

oyster.com/new-york-city/…2010-08-13

You haven't explained what/where your business is or when you're coming so I can't help you any more with the info you've provided. There are dozens of other Starwood hotels in Manhattan though including a new one called the Element scheduled to open mid Oct.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Four Points by Sheraton Midtown - Times Square

I have traveled a lot on business in the past (this summer I am NY limited) and am a Gold Starwoods member. If I were faced with your situation, I would book the Westin and suck up the difference in price on my personal stay days.

I say this knowing the quality and location of both properties. I do think the difference between both the brands and the individual properties is that great.

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
54 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Four Points by Sheraton Midtown - Times Square

We will be in NYC the last week in August until the Sunday before Labor Day. I have never encountered bed bugs and that just creeps me out! Yuck! I am leaning towards the Westin at this point. I SO appreciate all of your help. I would have to admit, I am a little overwhelmed at all of the decisions we need to make before we go for there is so much we want to do while we are there. The business location is 111 8th Avenue. Is the Westin close?

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Four Points by Sheraton Midtown - Times Square

In New York city terms it is very close--- the hotel is on 43rd street at 8th avenue---- your business location is on 8th avenue at about 15th street--- a distance of 28 blocks--- there are about 20 blocks to a mile so it is just under 1 1/2 miles. HOWEVER--- THE A TRAIN travels down 8th avenue and there is a stop at 42nd street one block from your hotel and there is a stop at 14th street one block from the business 3 stops should take you about 10-15 minutes on the A TRAIN. Welcome to NYC,

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
54 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Four Points by Sheraton Midtown - Times Square

Thank you! We are excited! I have to admit, I am a bit nervous, but it's an anxious-nervous. I'm an Indiana girl - so you could imagine! Thanks again!

Fukuoka, Japan
Level Contributor
84 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Four Points by Sheraton Midtown - Times Square

I've been staying at Four Points times square for the last week. The room is great. Bed is amazingly comfortsble and not THAT small. I would stay here again. Its not the nicest block but I have not felt unsafe even walking at night in this area. They have a computer downstairs that my husband uses. The shower leaks and the floor gets wet but that's it. I've found it conviently located to the subway and places we walk to.