We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving Travel to New York City

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
6 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Thanksgiving Travel to New York City

We (wife and 2 kids) will be traveling to NYC for 2010 Thanksgiving this year and am looking for advice or suggestions for hotel stay, parking, and attractions without breaking the bank which I know is likley impossible when visiting NYC. We are going to stay somewhere near downtown where we could walk to Times Square. I am most interested in getting advice on parking. Is there a location well outside the city that we can park and take the train in order to save money and not have to deal with driving in that mess. We are also planning on going to the parade set-up, Radio City Music Show, and Empire State Building. Thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,100 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
972 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from US$36.00*
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving Travel to New York City

First, some terminology: In NYC, "downtown" refers to the area at the southern end of Manhattan, or to any point south of where you're currently standing. It does not mean 'the most densely developed area,' as it does in many other places. The area around Times Square is known as "Midtown." I point this out not to be pedantic but because that's how hotels are described, as well as how subway directions and destinations are given. So if you want to be near Times Square, you'll be looking for hotels described as being in Midtown, Midtown West, or the Theater District.

Second, what are your exact travel dates and what is your nightly budget for a hotel?

Edited: 13 August 2010, 14:38
Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving Travel to New York City

If you are speaking specifically about Thanksgiving weekend, check out hotels in the Financial District. That area is quiet due to the lack of workers and the hotel rates are usually pretty reasonable for that weekend.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
6 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanksgiving Travel to New York City

Thanks for the terminology clarification. I would be referring then to the Midtown area. I stayed at the Double Tree hotel (51st St. I think) for a quick weekend trip several years ago and it wasn't a long walk to the Times Square area. I would prefer not to spend more than $300 a night if I can get away with it.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
6 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanksgiving Travel to New York City

Sorry, forgot to tell you my travel dates. 11/25 to check out on 11/28.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,413 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanksgiving Travel to New York City

The Travel Inn is the only hotel in Manhattan with free parking. The Skyline, near it, has $10/night parking. Both are in walking distance of Times Square. Both are considered budget hotels but rooms for the 4 of you will run $250-300/night for T'giving. If the kids can share a bed, you have a lot of options for hotels with 2 double or 2 queen beds in the room. If you need 3 beds, your options are fewer. I shop hotels on

kayak.com

quikbook.com

oyster.com

hotels.com

If you don't find any Manhattan hotels that fit your budget, some families will stay just outside Manhattan and use trains to get back and forth. The Doubletree Club in Jersey City is one option. Country Inn & Suites in Long island City is another. Once you determine where you'll stay we can provide suggestions on parking. To find parking prices in Manhattan

bestparking.com

is a good website.

Remember hotel taxes will add ~ 15% to prices you see online on most websites.

I agree staying in the financial district can be a good way to saving some money,. The Embassy Suites is there and great for a family but you will have to walk to the subway and use it to get to midtown.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,413 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thanksgiving Travel to New York City

According to my calendar, T'giving IS the 25th. How do you plan to watch the "set up" if you arrive on the day? My advice will be based on your clarifying when you're arriving. I was assuming you'd at least arrive the day before. If you're coming in on T'giving day, my hotel recos will change.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
6 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thanksgiving Travel to New York City

Yes, we will be arriving on Thanksgiving morning. We are going to drive through the night and plan on being at the set up at about 5 AM Thanksgiving day.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thanksgiving Travel to New York City

What do you mean by the "set up"? I think we're all assuming you're referring to when they blow up the balloons, which is a popular thing to go see. That happens the day before Thanksgiving. You seem to be talking about something else, though -- what is it?

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
6 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thanksgiving Travel to New York City

I had heard that it is pretty cool to watch them put the final touches on the floats and get them prepared for the line-up. We would probaly be there somewhat before 5 AM.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,413 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thanksgiving Travel to New York City

Arriving on the morning of the parade could present some serious problems driving into Manhattan. I know you said you wanted to park outside the city and maybe that will be best on day of the parade, but the best deal I found for your dates is at the Skyline hotel on hotels.com They have $10/day parking which is a great deal and you'd avoid schlepping luggage and kids on a train or bus into Manhattan. I don't know what it will be like to try to get into the Lincoln or Holland tunnel. Anyway, the Skyline is ~ $840 for the 3 nights including taxes. This is for a room with 2 queen beds The hotel also has a somewhat rare indoor pool. While it's not fancy and more resembles a motel to a hotel, it's imo a good deal if you're satisified with the reviews and look of the place. While hotels.com will charge your credit card on booking, the reservation is fully cancelable up to a day before the stay.

If you want to avoid driving into Manhattan, you might consider staying at the Sheraton on the Hudson in Weehawken, NJ. It's directly opposite midtown Manhattan. There's either bus service or a ferry down the block to get over to Manhattan. The Doubletree Guest Suites is another option that's near a PATH train (like a subway) but not as close.