We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Double Decker tours of NYC

mtl
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Double Decker tours of NYC

hello again,

I'm thinking of booking tix on a double decker tour of manhattan... 2 adults + a 9 yr old and a 8 yr old.... we will not be able to walk all over manhattan with the kids so my thinking was that a good way to maximize what we see if to do a double decker bus tour... they are a bit pricey...wondering what your thoughts are on the tours and if anyone had recommendations of which companies are better and which not so good.... and which part of the city is good to see by bus tour.. we're staying in Chelsea... thx again.

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,260 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Double Decker tours of NYC

You might want to do a loop just to get your bearings, then hit the subway. The subway is cheap, fast, and safe and isn't at the mercy of the traffic like the buses are. And if your children have never ridden on a subway, it's a wonderful learning experience.

Have a great trip!

Edited: 14 August 2010, 22:32
europe
Level Contributor
6 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Double Decker tours of NYC

The 48 or 72 hour hop on - hop off city tours are worth it. Do the full city loop. Give you an excellent overview of Manhattan. After that, use the subway as Rassi suggests.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,891 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Double Decker tours of NYC

I'm partial to Grayline because I work on Grayline. Don't buy tickets in advance - plan your trip first - understand what it is that you and your family want to see and do. Plan to get around the city by public buses and subways - use the double deckers as a fun overview on a nice day. Do not confuse them with transportation.

The loops are the beginning of a journey and they won't take you "all around manhattan" figure out what you really want to do while you are here.

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Double Decker tours of NYC

We just returned from a week in NYC. We used the grayline 48 hour pass. On day 1 we did the downtown loop starting at ESB (near our hotel), hopped off at Battery Park, walked up to the Eastern Seaport and hopped back on to complete the loop. On the second day we did the uptown loop, hopping off near the Guggenheim then walked down through Central Park. We found the traffic too heavy in Times Square so we always got off before travelling through there. After that we bought the 7-day unlimited metrocard which we used to zip around back much more efficiently.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Double Decker tours of NYC

I would also recommend you have a look at kingofnewyork.com . I did the full tour and really enjoyed it. I was also staying in Chelsea at the time.

Ashland, Oregon
Level Contributor
357 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Double Decker tours of NYC

I did the gremlin last summer wit my two boys ages 9 and 14 we loved it, it helped us get to know the city much better than we would have otherwise. The hop on hop off was great, then we rode the subways and knew where to go!

Edited: 15 August 2010, 17:11
Ashland, Oregon
Level Contributor
357 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Double Decker tours of NYC

I did the gremlin last summer wit my two boys ages 9 and 14 we loved it, it helped us get to know the city much better than we would have otherwise. The hop on hop off was great, then we rode the subways and knew where to go!

Edited: 15 August 2010, 17:13
mtl
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Double Decker tours of NYC

thx for all of your responses.... I think we will go with GrayLine ... just wondering, do you have to buy tix in advance or can we hop on where ever we want and pay the driver??? the Gray Line office seems out of the way for us to get to... thx!!!

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Double Decker tours of NYC

You can buy tickets for Grayline from the men in red jackets near most stops. You can also buy from your hotel but you need to exchange the hotel voucher for tickets from the red jacket men anyway. It is cheaper to buy online but we didn't since it was a spur-of-the-moment decision.

Juana Díaz, PR
Level Contributor
70 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Double Decker tours of NYC

I will say just don't take the CitySightsNY buses. I was in Manhattan last weekend (Aug 6-8) with my girlfriend and the absolute worst thing from the entire stay was getting on the blue buses. They don't seem to have enough buses available because they are always full and you have to wait a lot if you decide to hop off the bus at any point. The included ticket for the 75-minute Circle Line boat ride was good enough to offset the feeling that I had wasted my money. We planned to use the tour buses to get to some of the attractions we planned to visit and ended up using mostly the subway instead.