We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Did you enjoy Crown Access at the Statue of Liberty?

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Did you enjoy Crown Access at the Statue of Liberty?

I'd love to hear from anyone who has gone to the Statue of Liberty and had Crown Access. Did you enjoy this / find it worth doing.

Six of us have tickets to do this over Labor Day weekend -- I got the audio too. I've never seen this listed as a recommended activity,but wonder if individuals enjoyed it. We visit relatives in NJ once a year (mini three night / two day stay in the area), and we usually pick one little 1/2 day tourist attraction per trip. My 14 year old picked this. We loved the pedistal tour five year ago. I also did the crown once before, but that was back in 1970 when I was 10. I know I thought it was really cool back then, but I was probably pretty easy to impress at age 10 and that was 40 years ago. It would be great to hear from anyone who has done this more recently.

Regina
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Did you enjoy Crown Access at the Statue of Liberty?

Hello, we did the Crown access at the SOL just a few days ago. You climb up about 380 stairs (about half in a narrow winding staircase) and once you get to the top you can view the island and lower Manhattan. It was very hot and humid on the walk to the top, but, overall it was one of the highlights of our one week stay in NYC (I think the experience not the view is what makes it worth it).

Lots of security to go through and lineups, so, be prepared for long waits. You need to put all your belongings in a locker (except camera) before you climb up. It took us about 30 minutes total to go to the top, view, and come back down. Hopefully you have passes for the early morning, this way, you may avoid some lineups!

If you want any more info, let me know.

hova

Edmonton, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Did you enjoy Crown Access at the Statue of Liberty?

Hi hova_7. Is there a fee to use the locker?

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
499 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Did you enjoy Crown Access at the Statue of Liberty?

Yes there is a fee, it is $1.00. You can only take a camera with you into the crown, everything else must be kept in the locker. It was a neat experience and my 15 year old daughter loved it, have fun. I'm very envious of your upcoming trip, I've been back a little over a week and am going through NY withdrawal!!

Fall River...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Did you enjoy Crown Access at the Statue of Liberty?

My daughter and I are going to NY in October on a Saturday and staying overnight. We won't check in to our hotel until Sat. afternoon and have 8pm broadway tickets. We wanted to do SOL/Ellis Island but will each have a small bag. Where are the lockers located and how big are they? We don't know what to do with our stuff.

Regina
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Did you enjoy Crown Access at the Statue of Liberty?

There is a small locker available at the base of the statue. You can't miss it because that's where you line up. My guess is that it would hold a back pack, but thats about it. You could rent a couple of them, as its $1 for 2 hours. or... you could leave your bags at your hotel, they should hold them until your room is available.

hova

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Did you enjoy Crown Access at the Statue of Liberty?

I haven't gone up to the crown since I was about 25 years old, but I can still say it was worth it. I have incredible photos and unforgettable memories from being up there, particularly looking down at the tablet Lady Liberty is holding. Yes, it's small and cramped, but you'll never forget it.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Did you enjoy Crown Access at the Statue of Liberty?

Thanks Hova_7 and others, Great to hear that you found this worthwhile. Helps me to be more enthused about the mini tourist activity we picked for this year in the area. Our tickets are for 11 (catching the ferry / New Jersey side). Hopefully it will be a little cooler by Labor Day weekend, but you never know.

Edited: 14 August 2010, 20:50
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
108 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Did you enjoy Crown Access at the Statue of Liberty?

We managed to get crown tickets for 8am on the 29th Sept, I totally forgot to book them months in advance and booked them 2 weeks ago, we leave on the 30th so were lucky to get tickets just in time before we left. Can't wait!

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Did you enjoy Crown Access at the Statue of Liberty?

Thanks for the input everyone. Just wanted to report that we got back from our visit to the Crown on Sunday just before Labor Day. We really enjoyed it / very worthwhile to do. Like others mentioned it's more the whole experience than getting to the top. The outing was a big hit with my New Jersey relatives as well as my immediate family. Only 10 people go up per time slot, We also really lucked out on the weather -- mid 70s and sunny -- I couldn't have ordered much better. (I also see that the Crown area will be closed again for a year or so to widen stairs for emergency evacuations). If Crown Access is available, I'd definately recommend this as a fun memorable tourist activity.

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Did you enjoy Crown Access at the Statue of Liberty?

I did that years ago when I was a girl. There were so many steps that were narrow, winding, and people going both ways on them. We went in the summer and it was very hot and humid. I was very young and skinny and remember ducking around pipes. Is it still the same? The view was wonderful and I'll never forget it - but wouldn't do it again - ha.