We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel bookings

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
421 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
hotel bookings

hi,

all the hotel sites i seem to check require a hefty deposit or full payment in advance, yet i read that many on this site recommend making a booking but pay nothing in advance. am i missing something. What sites do they refer to.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel bookings

I don't know what sites you are looking at. Mostly, we recommend booking directly with the hotel - so you need to look at each individual hotel's website. Sometimes you pay in advance to get a cheaper rate, but I don't know of any hotel that makes it mandatory to pay upfront.

Other sites to look at:

www.quikbook.com

www.travelzoo.com (not to book through, but to find deals)

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel bookings

If you book directly with a hotel (or its chain), the reservation is almost always cancellable with 24 hours notice. Many chains give the option of saving a few dollars per night by paying in advance with no cancellation option - I never go that route, myself. Just make sure you avoid that option, and you should have no problem.

Chelmsford, United...
Destination Expert
for Rafina
Level Contributor
473 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel bookings

also booking.com doesn't ask for prepayment!only credit card number!

they charge only in case the reservation is not refundable!

Mechanicsville, MD
Level Contributor
190 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel bookings

Usually you can book directly with the hotel and cancel up until a day or two before. Although many hotels also offer lower rates that are non-refundable. I'm sure because people book and cancel waiting for a better deal. But they will still almost always offer a refundable rate (usually known as a "flexible rate") as well. I just booked our hotel for the long Christmas weekend and used Booking.com. Can cancel up until the day before with no charge, they do not charge your credit card ahead of time (you pay at the hotel,) and I think it's pretty reputable (Priceline company.) Since the rate was a bit less than the hotel's website, we'll probably get a lesser desirable room location, but it's a nice hotel so I'm not worried about that. Good luck!

Mechanicsville, MD
Level Contributor
190 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel bookings

But mind you the end price you see on Booking.com doesn't include taxes and fees so add about 16%....And as the poster before said, it will specifically outline the cancellation policy and if it's a refundable rate or not.

Edited: 16 August 2010, 21:55
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,794 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel bookings

You are probably looking at one of those hotel discount sites. If you book directly with the hotel, you would often get rates that are both non-refundable (at a discount) or flexible (may be canceled 24 hours before, or even on the day of arrival so read the terms carefully).

7. Re: hotel bookings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2011, 06:17