We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Central Park Carriage Ride

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
184 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Central Park Carriage Ride

I hear that the carriage rides typically originate from in front of the Plaza hotel. Is that indeed the case?

Is there a company which comes more recommended then others? Perhaps any which tend to their horses better then others, etc...

I know my mrs. woud love a moonlite carriage ride through the park - but would also love to ensure that the horses were well taken care of.

Thanks!

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,049 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Central Park Carriage Ride

All the Carriages will be lined up, and you can actually tell which horses are better kept. Pick the one that appeals to you most. I even talk to the drivers a little to see how nice they are (especially if you want any commentary during your ride). In addition if they see you doing this (the round robin) you may be able to negotiate a better price.

Edited: 17 August 2010, 16:36
Chicago
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Central Park Carriage Ride

Or, you could just walk to where you are going and not put the poor horses thru any more misery than what they already endure.

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,049 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Central Park Carriage Ride

I never quite understood the debate against the carriages. Is it entirely an anti equestrian debate?

One of my Parents used to board horses and I've genuinely cared for them. I feel most of the time it is people that have not had too much exposure to horses that object to the Carriages.

The typical stall is neither air conditioned or roomy (do they feel this is where the Horse should be - because that is where they would be if the were shipped out of the city) The city stalls are actually better kept than many outside the city.

Small farms with large stalls and fields are nice but lets face it, not all of them would get this. In The Caribbean you often see a more free range thing going on, but the horses often look uncared for.

The street is hard on all of our joints, but so is the rocky mountain side with no shoes.

Is it that they feel people shouldn't ride at all, ever? That is the only argument that is valid really, because the horses are pretty well taken care of.

I will agree that some of them look like they are getting a bit too old to be out there, but it is the same at shows and races.

Edited: 17 August 2010, 20:52
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,451 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Central Park Carriage Ride

Many locals feel the horses are not well tended and the rides themselves are overpriced and not nearly as romantic as they appear (or once were). You're limited to going on roads with cars so it can be more unnerving than relaxing. Give it a miss. A gondola ride on the lake at the Boat House is much more romantic and fun.

thecentralparkboathouse.com/sections/gondola…

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,389 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Central Park Carriage Ride

I don't think anyone is suggesting that horses should never be ridden. The part I have the most problem with is I don't believe horses belong in traffic, contending with cars. It's bad for the horses to breathe the exhaust fumes all day (most of us do not spend our entire working days walking behind cars in the street), and car on horse accidents are truly horrific.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
184 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Central Park Carriage Ride

Maybe some of the horses look unhappy because they are being fed too much Costco-sized Ravioli?!!!

Thanks for the input - will take a play it by ear approach on how the horses look, the potential route, etc. I assume one at night would be better, with a lot less traffic on the roads through the park?

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,745 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Central Park Carriage Ride

I am not a great fan of the carriage rides but your instincts are correct.

I've accompanied groups (multiple carriages) on two occasions. Once during the day and once at night. The night ride was lovely.

Also, I'm a Central Park nut - if someone can't walk and going in a carriage will get them 100 feet farther into the Park then by all means do it. Otherwise, take a walk. Every part of the Park is different. You will never see it all.

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,049 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Central Park Carriage Ride

Good point!

My friend is a bike messenger and had a horrible chest x-ray (also horrible bike/ auto accidents). This is a problem for everyone in big cities.

Much of Europe has much stricter emissions regulations. Cars that have poor MPG's are not even sold (and still fumes for everyone).

We should regulate biking and horses?

Edited: 17 August 2010, 21:47
9. Re: Central Park Carriage Ride

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 August 2010, 15:05
new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Central Park Carriage Ride

I have never read such bunk in all my life---- at least you admitted you are in the business... the reports here are that the 20 minute ride actually is more like 12 minutes and it is grossly overpriced...

To me it is the biggest rip off in the city--- I have given up on the humane nature of the activity since people have to make their own judgement and they either come down on one side or the other.

I am not against anyone making an honest living but to say that the horses are as a class well cared for is just pure poppycock.