We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainbow Room, Tavern on the Green

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
184 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Rainbow Room, Tavern on the Green

So I just read that BOTH of these famous to me landmarks are closed?

Not sure how Tavern on the Green went bankrupt - I read it was the 2nd busiest restaurant in the nation only a couple of years ago?

Any other landmarks go belly up?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,565 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rainbow Room, Tavern on the Green

TotG went bankrupt for many reasons, but the food was awful.

I believe Grimaldi's was losing its lease, but is now off the hook until next November. They're not paying their rent, though.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,215 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rainbow Room, Tavern on the Green

Times are changing. Old staid, live by the reputation only places are dying out, now that people are so food oriented and know the difference between good and mediocre! There are still some older posters here who may put on gowns and tuxedos to go ballroom dancing on a Saturday night, but the bulk of that crowd is no more.

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rainbow Room, Tavern on the Green

It's not just the Rainbow Room and Tavern on the Green crowd that's disappearing. James Wolcott writes in this month's Vanity Fair:

"Like the Ouroboros, the mythical serpent swallowing its own tail in an eternal circle of self-consumption, the cultural imagination of New York continues to feed on its chattier, noisier, messier, more creatively jostling past, the present being too priced out and tamped down."

Along with the genteel places such as TotG ,The Rainbow Room, and The Palm Court, Wolcott writes that perhaps New York has also lost the edginess that was singular when Max's Kansas City (now closed since 1981) existed. Are there still places to go in New York City that aren't sugarcoated, family friendly, and are just meant for adults? (And I'm not talking about fetish or sex clubs.)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rainbow Room, Tavern on the Green

The idea that TOTG or the Rainbow Room were "genteel" is, um, interesting.

If Wolcott were any more out of touch, he'd live in Bergen County.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
184 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rainbow Room, Tavern on the Green

How old was that article? The Palm Court is open isnt it?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,565 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rainbow Room, Tavern on the Green

The Palm Court had better be open - I have a reservation to take my mother there for tea for her birthday.

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rainbow Room, Tavern on the Green

How, then, would you describe them, Crans? I'm interested. They were places for 'Ladies Who Lunch', weren't they?

I think Wolcott has a point in that the cleaning up of the City, particularly of Times Square, has changed more than the physical attributes of Manhattan.

Was the old, dirty New York more interesting?

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rainbow Room, Tavern on the Green

I don't know if the 'new' Palm Court at the Plaza is open or not. I am nostalgic for the original. : )

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rainbow Room, Tavern on the Green

" Was the old, dirty New York more interesting?'

Perhaps there was more of a unique character, but things change, industry changes, gentrification, demands on real estate, globalization, and this is happening in many great Cities of the world.

Edited: 17 August 2010, 23:39
elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Rainbow Room, Tavern on the Green

The Palm Court at the Plaza is definitely open again and doing a brisk business, judging from our visit to the Plaza three weeks ago. We were actually there to have a drink at the Oak Bar after having had lunch at La Grenouille, and I also wanted to see Todd English's new food hall.

Anyway, the Palm Court was filled to capacity for afternoon tea, and it seemed almost like the good old days.

I'll just say, I'm glad I had the opportunity to experience both Tavern on the Green and the Rainbow Room. They were NYC institutions, if nothing else. And kind of magical in their own ways, setting aside the food.