We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manhattan Vacation Apartments for rent on Craig's List

Florida
Level Contributor
212 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Manhattan Vacation Apartments for rent on Craig's List

I try to visit NYC every December. Last year we booked a place with a private room and bath, shared w/owner. I have been checking Craig's List and some apts are super. I made an inquiry on one that was 2 BDRM/2Bath. $700 a week. When I got the email narration from the owner I started seeing red flags. Call me paranoid. $900 deposit to hold the apt, of which, $550 will be returned after I check out. The letter he sent, the grammar, the vernacular all seemed odd. Like the phishing emails you get from Nigeria. I have an address of this apt. If anyone has ever stayed there please let me know. This may be all on the up and up, but I need someone to convince me other wise. The address is 124 East 23rd Street New

York, NY. Any information appreciated.

RT

Mentioned in this post
Nigeria
Nigeria
Africa
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,170 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,058 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,418 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Manhattan Vacation Apartments for rent on Craig's List

You are kidding, right?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,172 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Manhattan Vacation Apartments for rent on Craig's List

Virtually all short term apartment rentals in New York CIty are illegal. (See the FAQ on the right hand side of yoru screen.) Scams are frequent. If you give us your dates of travel, bedding requirements and budget per night in US Dollars we will try to help you find a hotel room in your budget.

NY NY
Level Contributor
1,868 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manhattan Vacation Apartments for rent on Craig's List

Put that address in google maps then click on "street view." There's not even a building there.

Edited: 17 August 2010, 21:46
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,172 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Manhattan Vacation Apartments for rent on Craig's List

I agree with Outoftheinkwell - this one is an obvious scam. The lot is owned by the United Cerebral Palsy Center of New York - they have an office building next door. There is no apartment building there.

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Florida
Level Contributor
212 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manhattan Vacation Apartments for rent on Craig's List

Thanks Everybody!! This was one address that I DID NOT look at on Google. I just did. Yep, empty lot. Ok, I will look some more. Last year I worked with Manhattan Getaways. That worked well.

RT

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Manhattan Vacation Apartments for rent on Craig's List

You will be looking for a hotel, correct?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,172 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Manhattan Vacation Apartments for rent on Craig's List

ROADTOAD, let me state again that you should NOT be looking for vacation apartment rentals at all. The place you were in last time sounds like a hosted situation, where the owner stays in the apartment with you. Those are generally fine, but apartment rentals are almost always not allowed. Even the ones that are not outright scams are likely not legal, and violate laws, regulations, zoning requirments, and by-laws that are in place to protect the property rights and physical safety of the legitimate tenants, not to mention the local economy. You risk eviction if you stay in an illicit rental.

Because this is not a legitimate indistry, there is no oversight, and as you have already seen, scams are frequent, as are bait and switch tactics. You will have no one to complain to or get your money back from if something goes wrong. We strongly recommend only staying in legitimate lodgings when you visit NYC.

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manhattan Vacation Apartments for rent on Craig's List

What the hell...I'd go for that Craig's List appartment. Take a chance...you only live once!!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,172 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Manhattan Vacation Apartments for rent on Craig's List

You're funny, Frank. :)

Florida
Level Contributor
212 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Manhattan Vacation Apartments for rent on Craig's List

yes, It was hosted and we thoroughly enjoyed the Hosts. Since they both worked all day we pretty much had the place to ourselves, and they had a great breakfast every morning.

Thanks Again..

RT