We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Recommendation and any other useful info :)

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotel Recommendation and any other useful info :)

Hi all,

I will be in NYC on the 26th & 27th of December and then again between the 31st of December and the 10th of January.

Looking for some hotel recommendations in the city. I am a photographer so looking for somewhere pretty central in a good funky, cafe area with good transport options to get around easy. I am initially thinking Soho, The Village or Chelsea?

Also looking for any NYE advice. Obviously thinking about Times Square but will it be a bit crazy if I am on my own?

Any other advice, suggestions it useless info much appreciated!

Cheers,

Andrew

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,099 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
970 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from US$36.00*
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,367 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Recommendation and any other useful info :)

Budget will dictate your options. The 31st is a pricey night for hotels. There are very few hotels in the village.

wshotel.com

is the only affordable option and is in a great location but the place itself is basic. There are b & b's that are really like apartments.

west-eleventh.com

is charming and

greenwichvillagehome.com

is more affordable.

cosmohotel.com

in Tribeca is popular. The Hampton Inn Seaport, Soho or Chelsea are all good. The Seaport, while less central has a bit of charm to it. The Chelsea Pines is a nice inn.

Locals will tell you to avoid Times Square on NYE unless you want to be penned up for hours. Read this

timessquarealliance.org/nye/nye_faq.html

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Recommendation and any other useful info :)

Thanks, ill check those places out. Sorry, meant to mention budget... besides the 31st (which I know will just be expensive) just an average priced safe, clean hotel/hostel would be good. Solo 34 year old dad of three travelling so I dont need anything fancy :)

Yeah. I am thinking time square will be a no go. Anywhere else you would recommend for a solo traveller? Somewhere with a cool street atmosphere where I can just wonder with mg camera.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Recommendation and any other useful info :)

Upper West Side - definitely. What's your budget?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,367 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Recommendation and any other useful info :)

What's average price to you may not be average price here. ;) Big difference between hostel and hotel usually although there are some hotels with shared bathrooms like

podhotel.com

that are affordable. But with a long stay, you may prefer something with more space.

kayak.com

quikbook.com

oyster.com

hotels.com

are the places I look for shopping hotels. The most acceptable hostels are the YMCA Westside, YMCA Vanderbilt, Hostelling International and Big apple hostel.

The Belleclaire is a decent hotel on the upper west side that has some budget queen rooms with shared bathroom that might be a good option for you.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Recommendation and any other useful info :)

I guess my maximum would be about $200p/n. Is that realistic for NYC?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
132 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Recommendation and any other useful info :)

You've got to take a look at www.airbnb.com. My husband and I booked a place through them last time we went to NYC and LOVED the experience. You'll have your pick of neighbourhoods and it's way cheaper than a hotel (basically private apartments). We stayed in the East Village for $90/night and had a full kitchen and private bathroom. Way more fun than staying in a cheap hotel.

Edited: 23 August 2010, 07:21
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Recommendation and any other useful info :)

no no no no no - ignore the airbnb suggestion from the last poster, who obviously is unfamiliar with NY city laws.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Recommendation and any other useful info :)

Thanks for all the suggestions so far...

Maybe it would be easier to recommend an "area" rather than a specific hotel :)

At the moment, after reading some info, I am thinking either Upper West Side or The East Village...

Keeping in mind that great coffee and great food is high on the agenda :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,367 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Recommendation and any other useful info :)

I think given your budget, you need to pick a hotel rather than an area. For ex., there aren't many hotels in the east village, so while the area might suit you, if there's nowhere affordable to stay, what's the point.

I'm not enthusiastic about air b & b because while SOME Of their listings may be ok, many are not and people have reported serious problems using the site. It's nothing more than a place to list and they don't vet the places or get involved AT ALL if there's a problem.

nicolenasbandb.com

in Tribeca

jacksbandb.com

on the upper west side

might be worth checking. $200/night is not impossible at all in Jan. but for your Dec. dates, might be a challenge.

milburnhotel.com

on the upper west side is another good idea if the budget works.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,367 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Recommendation and any other useful info :)

East Village Bed & Coffee might be an idea if you don't mind sharing a bathroom but as I recall, people said it was a bit of a trek to the nearest subway.

Just had a look on quikbook.com where many of the bookings don't require prepayment and are fully cancelable. You can get a deluxe queen room with your own bathroom at the Belleclaire on the upper west side for an average $194/night PLUS tax (~15%) for the long stay. The Cosmopolitan is $151/night plus tax in Tribeca.