We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In the Heights or Rock of Ages?

Nashville
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Topic
In the Heights or Rock of Ages?

My boyfriend and I are visiting New York this coming weekend. We have time on Saturday to see a matinee Broadway show prior to meeting friends for dinner. We are in our early 40's. Which do you suggest....In the Heights or Rock of Ages? I saw Rock of Ages last year, my bf likes 80's music, so I know he would enjoy ROA, but In the Heights has also been recommended to us.

Also, back row center orchestra seats or front row center mezz seats? Those seats are the same price and what our budget can afford.

Thanks!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In the Heights or Rock of Ages?

are you looking at discount seats like on www.broadwaybox.com ?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,520 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In the Heights or Rock of Ages?

I haven't seen ROA. Only you can decide whether you want to see it again with the knowledge that bf will like it or whether you want to see something new for both of you. I love In the Heights but some people prefer a show where the music is already familiar. Has bf seen any other musicals? Is he a musicals guy or is he doing this b/c you want to? I ask only b/c a lot of guys would rather not go at all. If that's the case, maybe you should go to the matinee alone and let him do something else?

Nashville
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: In the Heights or Rock of Ages?

NYWhiz!

I asked him, just last night, lol! I wanted to make certain that he wasn't going to the show out of obligation. He has never been to a show on Broadway. He is a creature of habit, which makes me think ROA will be the better choice, as he will know and like the music. I will probably just wait to see In the Heights when it comes to our local theater in March 2011.

Broadwaybox is offereing 25% off ROA tix, which is still pricier than what I was able to get at the TKS booth last time.

Thank you for your advice :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,520 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In the Heights or Rock of Ages?

Why not let fate decide? The TKTS booth at the South St. Seaport sells matinee tickets the day BEFORE the show. Go down on Fri. and see if they've got ROA or ITH and get them there. ;)

new york
Level Contributor
2,889 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In the Heights or Rock of Ages?

I enjoyed both shows but I would go for Rock of Ages. Also, definitely front mezz over back orchestra.

Nashville
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: In the Heights or Rock of Ages?

I have added a stop at the TKS booth at South St Seaport to my Friday afternoon, to check out the tix. Hoping for a good deal like I snagged last summer on ROA tix. I really think he will like the music better, since it's familiar. This is the guy who wants to sit at a bar and watch sports, while I shop at Century 21 Friday, He is a simple guy, lol!

Thanks, NYWhiz, about the South St Seaport tip. I didn't know I could purchase matinee tix a day prior to the show.

Sydney
Level Contributor
213 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In the Heights or Rock of Ages?

I haven't seen ROA but did see In the heights 2 years ago when we first visited NYC.

We had centre front row Mezz seats which were perfect. My bf isn't into musicals but came along for my sake and he ended up really enjoying the show!

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
970 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: In the Heights or Rock of Ages?

I have seen In The Heights two times i would highly recommend it.

9. Re: In the Heights or Rock of Ages?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2011, 08:18