We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 month and counting...

Melbourne
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
1 month and counting...

So we are less that a month away from landing in New York City on the 29th of September...

I have a few questions regarding our trip;

* We arrive at 5:30pm on the 29th (Wed) - Whats the 'best' way of getting to our hotel near times square?? By best i mean quickest/cheapest.. At the moment we look like picking a taxi.

* One of the things I want to do is see Madison Square Garden and see a ice hockey game.. On the night we arrive the Rangers play a preseason match... We only want to drop in and get a few photos and look for 10 mins or so... Will we get tickets out the front or should i get some off stub hub... Do they open the doors after the 3rd period starts for walk ins (they do this in australia for footy)? Will we be able to buy tickets out the front after the game starts?

* We were given a New York Pass each for xmas last year... How do we use this to book a circle line 3hr tour? Should i call?

Any other tips and tricks?

Thank you all for all your help over the last few months!!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 month and counting...

As you don't say which airport you're flying into, it's impossible to give you advice about airport transfers. You've read the FAQ page on airport transfers already, right?

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s301/New-York-…

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 month and counting...

I would not count on any walk ins to an NHL game without a ticket.. Why not buy tickets and go for a while---- i think you may find it far more exciting than a Footy game.

You had better check on pictures though.and see if they will let you use a flash.

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,073 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 month and counting...

I always do a cab from the airports (with luggage it is just too much of a hassle not to get door to door service).

For Rangers avoid the "stub hub" fee and just buy tickets directly. Don't click tickets, You have to click on schedule and then under ticket type chose pre- season:

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/app

I would call for circle line questions.

For tips:

1. United Nations (46th St.and 1st avenue) the general tour is very informative(7-14 usd).

Tip: Before or after your tour “The Delegates Lounge” (inside the UN building) serves the best international buffet luncheon in the world (Mon. –Fri. 11:30 – 14:30). This is literally fit for Kings, Queens, and Presidents but you need ID (passports or drivers license) and a reservation ph#1(212)963-7625.

2. The World Financial Center (by the Hudson river/ Wagner Park) the best view of the repairs to the World Trade Center site and story poster boards informing visitors about the rebuilding(and it is inside with a beautiful lobby).

Tip: Walk along the Esplanade afterwards to Robert Wagner Park, and Battery Park with the boats to the Statue of Liberty this is a beautiful part of NYC.

3. Statue of Liberty

http://www.statuecruises.com/ to get tickets to climb up the statue.

Most people suggest getting your tickets as early as possible because the security lines get longer as the day passes by.

Or you can cruise by it (with out going to the actual island) for free on the:

Staten Island Ferry (Battery Park Terminal) It is free and you get nice views of the city and Lady Liberty.

Tip: You have to get off the boat in Staten Island but go around the corner and get right in line for the same boat, so you don’t lose an hour of your day waiting for the next boat(they don’t let you just stay on).

4. South Street Sea Port (Fulton & Water St.) there are always performers and it also has nice views and shops. Also a TKTS booth were you get same day discounted Broadway tickets.

Tip: The food court has inexpensive places to eat with wonderful views.

5. Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge (enter at Centre St. between Chambers and Park Rowe across from City Hall Park) It is beautiful up there.

Tip: If time is limited walk to the middle and then come back.

6. Fine Dining-

L’Ecole Restaurant (462 Broadway between Broome and Grand St.)- This is the school for the French Culinary Institute, and so you have the best Chefs teaching top Students to do constantly varying pre-fixe menus at fair prices.

You must have a reservation ph#1(212)219-3300.

Or go to www.opentable.com .

Nougatine Room at Jean Georges (Columbus Circle in the Trump International Hotel) Definitely one of NYC’s best Pre-fix deals.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60763-d42…

7. Also I saw this travel article put together by forum regulars that is definitely worth a look on the restaurants with the best views:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c67171/New-Yor…

8. Lincoln Center (Broadway and Columbus at 65th St.) there are three buildings here The Metropolitan Opera house and NYC Ballet buildings are architecturally magnificent inside.

Tip: All performances now have some tickets for as cheap as @$20 -30 USD (in family circle or a balcony box seat) they will sometimes be a partial view or far away, but walking around this famous opera house during intermission is almost worth that much alone and you get a ballet or opera on top of it.

metoperafamily.org/metopera/…

Also there are many other nice areas Columbus Circle, Central Park, Rockefeller Center, and many fantastic museums (I’d start with the Met if you only have time for one).

Here is a good link about show tapings that may interest you:

www.nycgo.com/…

Edited: 30 August 2010, 19:47
New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,073 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 month and counting...

Whoops I just tried to follow that link through for the Rangers and you will have to wait until mid Sept. even for pre-season.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 month and counting...

Sorry guys... Flying into JFK... Looking like Taxi is the best option?.?

About the Ice Hockey.. There are lots of tickets available on stubhub but they say you cant get the tickets until the 23rd Sept... Not sure if thats a good idea...

Also gave circleline a quick call... They wont pre-book a new york pass trip.. Just turn up 45mins prior...

Thanks for all the awesome tips so far...Any more?

Very Very Very excited!

I will be the first person in my family to go to New York and everyone is very excited for us!

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 month and counting...

Just wanted to say that I understand your excitement. Each time we fly into NYC I feel a rush of anticipation. We have to go for our "fix" every couple of years. Have a wonderful vacation!

7. Re: 1 month and counting...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2011, 06:20