We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dancing in NYC for 40-50's age group

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
215 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
dancing in NYC for 40-50's age group

Any suggestions for a good dancing establishment (bar, restaurant, night club) in Manhatten where there is dancing for a "little older" crowd that actually enjoys dancing to MUSIC as opposed to loud noise with somewhat of a beat! thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dancing in NYC for 40-50's age group

You might like Swing 46:

http://www.swing46.com/

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dancing in NYC for 40-50's age group

Swing 46 is your best bet, and - unfortunately - one of the only bar/restaurants in NYC that offers swing and ballroom dancing on a regular basis.

On the other hand, there are LOTS of dance schools that have weekly parties, some with live music, where you can enjoy swing, salsa, tango, etc.

You Should Be Dancing "Club 412"

youshouldbedancing.net/viewClub412Schedule.a…

DanceSport

dancesport.com/index.php/mixed-latin-ballroo…

Stepping Out Studios

http://www.steppingoutstudios.com/

Every summer, Lincoln Center's Mid-Summer Night's Swing hosts outdoor dancing every week, ranging from swing to salsa to tango to 70s disco. If you pay the admission, you get a spot on the portable dance floor, but it's not necessary. You can dance on the plaza for free around the stage!

…lincolncenter.org/live/index.php/swing-2010

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
215 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dancing in NYC for 40-50's age group

Thanks for all your imput. Was wondering about such places as GoldBar, The Pyramid Club, Bungalow 8, Provocateur, CV? Any comments on those places ? thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dancing in NYC for 40-50's age group

The weekly 80s night at Pyramid Club might be ok for you.

The others are exactly what you said you don't want.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dancing in NYC for 40-50's age group

beadhappy, perhaps you can reveal what kind of music and dancing you want. That would be helpful.

Is this what you're interested in?

http://www.awesome80sprom.com/

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
215 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dancing in NYC for 40-50's age group

Actually, I am researching this for a friend of mine who doesn't have time to do so before her trip. I think she is just looking for music like you would dance to at a wedding reception. .. a mixed bag of just good music with a tune to which someone in their mid fifties might even know the lyrics! She's a classy lady who has not been to NYC in a long time.... coming with some girlfriends and wants to have a little fun... wants to meet guys in their late forties early 50's... maybe just a fun new bar.....She likes dressing up but doesn't really want to spend a fortune in cover charges/expensive alcohol. She really does like to dance, but it sounds like if she doesn't want to swing dance or hip hop with t he 20 year olds, she's out of luck. Thanks for your help.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dancing in NYC for 40-50's age group

"She really does like to dance, but it sounds like if she doesn't want to swing dance or hip hop with t he 20 year olds, she's out of luck. "

I'm not sure if you're being dramatic here, but just so people know, most people over 30 would feel very out of place in NYC nightclubs. Bars are a better option, but the city's cabaret laws prevent dancing in most of those. The "ladies night" dance spectaculars popular in many other cities really don't exist here.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dancing in NYC for 40-50's age group

I would reco that she try Cafe Wha? on MacDougal Street.

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: dancing in NYC for 40-50's age group

Is there dancing at Cafe' Wha?

beadhappy: I know exactly what you're looking for and I don't think it exists any longer. Even the 80's prom place is geared toward young brides having bachelorette parties.

Not a bad idea for a business if you could get through the cabaret laws.

10. Re: dancing in NYC for 40-50's age group

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2011, 06:18