We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the #1 Broadway show right now?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
392 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
What is the #1 Broadway show right now?

My husband and I would like to go to a show in October when we are there. We're not really sure what to pick so I thought I'd start with the top 5.

He doesn't want to go to Mama Mia and we just saw Jersey Boys in Vegas (loved it).Is ther ea website that ranks the shows with reviews?

I need help picking one!

Lawrence, Kansas
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the #1 Broadway show right now?

Wicked is #1 right now, and has been for a while. Personally, I didn't care much for it.

I loved, loved, loved Memphis though! :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
255 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the #1 Broadway show right now?

According to http://www.Broadway.com, the current top 10 are as follows:

1. Wicked

2. Memphis

3. Promises, Promises

4. The Addams Family

5. Chicago

6. Million Dollar Quartet

7. American Idiot

8. Come Fly Away

9. Rock of Ages

10. Blue Man Group

The only show from that list I have seen is Wicked and I was thought it was a spectacular production. I have already booked for Promises, Promises for my trip in October, and managed to get good seats at a discount price through http://www.BroadwayBox.com

Edited: 01 September 2010, 06:52
Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the #1 Broadway show right now?

I am presuming that the "Top 10" list shown above is based on popularity of ticket sales, NOT reviews, as the Addams Family received almost universally negative reviews (I think advanced group sales and tourists are keeping it alive?). Having said that, Wicked has been playing for YEARS (and everyone I know who has seen it has loved it). Another show that used to be a #1 pick is Phantom of the Opera, which has dramatic music and production values.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the #1 Broadway show right now?

What is hot "right now" has been noted above. But, there is a new theater season on the horizon. Lots of new shows open in October and November every year. Some become breakout hits, and some sink like a stone. Here is a list of what is opening for the 2010-2011 theater season.

playbill.com/celebritybuzz/article/80060-Sch…

elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the #1 Broadway show right now?

Hi supertravel68. I'd say don't try to overthink it too much ... just book Wicked and call it a wrap. :-)

New Brunswick Canada
Level Contributor
118 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the #1 Broadway show right now?

We went to see Wicked when we were there and I really didnt think I would like it but I Loved it!! So glad we chose that one!

Malmö,Sweden
Level Contributor
57 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the #1 Broadway show right now?

I agree with the last poster, I had booked tickets for this for our first visit to NY this March, On the day of the show I almost didnt want to go because of so much else to do, but I was dead wrong, I loved the Wicked, cant say I ever been to many Musicals in my life, but this certainly changed my point of view. The cast was amazing. Have a nice trip

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the #1 Broadway show right now?

We've seen Wicked twice - once in NYC and once on tour in Phoenix. We loved it both times. We saw South Pacific when we were there Christmas and am sorry to see it isn't on your top 10 list. We thought it was wonderful!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
392 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is the #1 Broadway show right now?

Thanks, I am going to check some of these out and try not to overthink, I tend to do that, thanks for the reminder.LOL

I'm leaning towards Wicked or Memphis although South Pacific is something I'd like to see too. Not sure what Promises, Promises is but I'll read up.

Thanks for the list and the recommendations!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
392 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is the #1 Broadway show right now?

also two more quick questions. I was just looking at Wicked tickets on bradwaybox.com and see quite a price range in seats!

Are there any seats you would NOT recommend?

and finally...do we dress up?? as in a dress and a suit?

Thanks in Advance!!!