We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How does booking accommdation through oyster work

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How does booking accommdation through oyster work

Hi Everyone

I have booked NY palace through the hotels web site we are travelling in December as a family , I have looked on oyster.com and others and rooms are heaps cheaper but you have to prepay your accommodation at time of booking, can cancel booking as per rules of hotel, does the hotel allocate cheaper rooms to these web based booking agencies, like rooms at the back of the building, noisy rooms, near lifts etc, why such a vast saving booking through these web sites?

Have asked the hotel direct to match the prices on the web but they wont?

1. Re: How does booking accommdation through oyster work

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 September 2010, 01:47
Edited: 03 September 2010, 01:47
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How does booking accommdation through oyster work

I double-checked your earlier posts here, possum, so now see that you need accommodations for a family of 4. My primary concern re: Oyster is that all their hotel rate quotes are based solely "on single or double occupancy" (i.e.,1- 2 people), even when booking a room that can accommodate 3-4, and you will be responsible for "any extra adult charges that may apply" [quotes from Oyster web site]. Oyster, however, doesn't give you any idea of what a family of 4 will be charged for a room with 2 double or queen beds.

Indeed, it's not obvious to me that you are guaranteed a room at the Palace with 2 double beds. There's no place on the Oyster reservation form to indicate how many people are in your party -- and they simply state that the rooms are equipped with either 1 king bed or 2 doubles. So it sounds like a "run of the house" kind of booking. Which could be quite a problem if the Palace has only rooms with 1 king bed available at the time you check in.

Bottom line as I see it: please call Oyster and receive greater clarification and assurances than the online booking page gives you re: the Palace (or any of the other NYC hotels available through its reservations service). And I hope you'll post back with the info they give you :-)

I don't think we've gotten any reports here on the forum from anyone who's booked a room via Oyster. This report from June indicates they're using, e.g., Reserve Travel and Tourico (an industry wholesaler) as sources for their room inventory.

tnooz.com/2010/…

Edited: 03 September 2010, 01:48
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How does booking accommdation through oyster work

P.S. My observation re: Oyster's rates being for no more than double occupancy is also true for, e.g., booking.com. At least Expedia and some of the other major players provide a drop-down menu where you can advise them of how many people are in your travel party -- and where there are children, you're often asked to give their ages. You may be then unpleasantly surprised to see how much the price jumps up for 3-4 people vs. the 1-2 people that are typically the base quotes initially displayed. But Expedia and the like do let you know what the tab is before you're called upon to finalize the reservation.

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
180 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How does booking accommdation through oyster work

hello! i actually just booked a room on oyster.com today for the st. giles the court in december for 4 people. I contacted oyster via their online chat and by calling. As the previous replys have posted they do list their prices based on 2 people per room and dont include those extra charges for more than two people in the price they show on the website, you also may be responsible for paying for the room upfront. However, this all depends on which hotel you are booking with. For instance the st giles the court hotel does not charge extra for more than 2 people in the room. They also do not have you pay upfront. So I would check with your hotel or even call or online chat with oyster to see if your hotel does. That is what I did before booking. In regards to making sure you have two double beds you can email oyster with your request and they can contact the hotel and put in your request. I was told that since we booked now for december that the hotel should be able to honor that request. When I emailed them today with my request they emailed me a half hr later saying they would contact the hotel in 1 to 2 days once my reservation has processed and then email or call me back letting me know if my request for 2 beds could be met. Hope this helps!!

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How does booking accommdation through oyster work

I've recently booked a room through oyster.com for next weekend. I'll be sure to post back about the experience but it's just me and my husband going. The online booking process was efficient and the online chat option was very helpful. This is the first time I've booked a room through oyster. I started out just going through their photo galleries. Here's hoping the room is exactly what we expect!

6. Re: How does booking accommdation through oyster work

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2011, 07:31