We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East Village Apartments

Manchester
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
East Village Apartments

I am currently trying to arrange a trip to New York for a party of 5, in November for 5 or 6 nights. We really wanted to stay in an apartment rather than a hotel so I was really pleased when I came across East Village apartments as they look great.

Unfortunately they are fully booked.

Does anyone know of similar apartments in the same area or other ares of the City that I could contact for rooms.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Cheers.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
381 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: East Village Apartments

Hi Cagsy,

Apartment rental is actually illegal in NYC, and there are many scams about, where people turn up and have no place to stay.

This is one of the top questions here on the forum, so if you search "apartment" you will find a HUGE amount of info on why this is illegal and how much of a problem it is.

You can also read the FAQ over to the right of the screen, and read the post "Why apartment rentals in NYC are a bad idea". You need to read this, and you need to completely FORGET staying in an apartment.

There are legal apartment style hotels that would suit you, such as Radio City apartments or one of the Affinia chain, such as Eastgate Tower.

Just forget the apartments though, bad idea all around.

Cheers

London
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: East Village Apartments

Also looking at East Village Apartments and see they have got very good reviews on here. Have also seen the warnings about scams etc so don't really know what to make of these. I see on their own website that they want deposit by Pay Pal, should this set alarm bells ringing? It looks like they have the whole building with 4 apartments so presumably no other residents to upset and get complaining. If it is an outright scam I don't think they would get the reviews they have on here, is it more a case of being slightly shady? Anyone stayed here and can give an answer either way? Thanks.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: East Village Apartments

Have you not read Odyssey's post and the FAQ's re apartment rentals?

PLEASE just get a hotel room or even a legal apartment style hotel.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: East Village Apartments

Matt-- you are the kind of trusting soul that the scammers live on... there are tons of reviews that are as fraudulent as the places they represent--- just get a hotel room or rooms. Remember the crooks are always smarter than the good guys.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: East Village Apartments

Matt1997, you are well aware of our laws and have received good suggestions already:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k3943964…

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: East Village Apartments

Cagsy99 - what's your budget per night? What are you looking for in an apt. vs. a hotel? A kitchenette?

Read more here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k3359698… Apartment_style_hotels_kitchenette_needed-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k3925261… What_s_in_the_kitchenette_at_the_Beacon_Hotel-

If you're looking to save money on lunches or dinners, rest assured that NYC has countless cheap eats options! Plenty of good food out there that won't break the bank.

What are your other concerns?

New York
Level Contributor
36 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: East Village Apartments

Holiday rentals are not illegal in NYC. A new law in NYC was passed on July 24th, making all rentals under 30 days illegal after May 2011. I have consulted with the building departments in NYC, and am changing the zoning of my building to allow short term apartment rentals after May 2011. We have already begun the process, and it should be completed within a few months.

I can assure you that East Village Apartments will remain open and legal.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: East Village Apartments

Would love to see you debate that with Alice Palace who says that all are illegal --- the truth lies probably somewhere between her description and yours, Have you ever been cited by the buildings department as an illegal housing situation. Just curious and before you answer there are people here who will know if what you say is 100% accurate.

what is your zoning designation now and what happens if you are not allowed to change it--- will you shut down ?

Edited: 29 September 2010, 17:02
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: East Village Apartments

yes of course yogadiet

new york
Level Contributor
2,889 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: East Village Apartments

Are you currently "zoned" to allow short term rentals?