We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When In Rome....

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Topic
When In Rome....

where do you stay?

I'll head over to the Rome forum soon, but I was hoping the NYC world travelers could make a suggestion for a nice little gem of a hotel in Rome that's convenient for city exploration.

Grazie in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Grazie
Grazie
282 Reviews
New York City, NY
Queens NY
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: When In Rome....

Auberge Romano. cheap, near the colosseum. How many are you and what's your budget, have you been to Rome before, what do you want to do?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,599 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: When In Rome....

I stay in Hotel Campo d'Fiori - incredible roof deck. It is a boutique hotel, great location, nice rooms, everything.

www.hotelcampodefiori.com/inglese/hotel.htm

The photo that you see when at that link is the view from the roof deck....

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,213 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: When In Rome....

I was last in Rome in 2005, and I stayed in a place called Hotel Pensione Italia, off Via Nazionale. It was cheap and cheerful, and we found it conveniently situated and perfectly suited to our needs.

http://www.hotelitaliaroma.it/en/index.php

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: When In Rome....

Thank-you.

I'll check on all of them. What do you think of the I.Q.hotel?

edit: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187791-d172903…

Where's the best area of Rome for first time visitors to stay in? Favorite guidebook?

Edited: 27 September 2010, 04:03
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,213 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: When In Rome....

I will admit that I used Rick Steves' Rome book when I went, and found it great. I like his maps and museum self-guided tours best, which is why I use his books. I know that many people feel that his books are for Americans who are scared of traveling, but I'm a seasoned veteran and I still prefer his maps and museum tours to other books I've used, at least in Europe. I wouldn't only use his books for research, but for a book to get started with and carry with you when you go, I'm a fan.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When In Rome....

I was there in the summer. Stopped at the Visconti Palace Hotel. I find hotels in Italy can be a bit hit and miss, but i had no complaints with this one.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When In Rome....

The Albergo Del Senato in the shadows of the Pantheon.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When In Rome....

Be sure to visit the Centrale Montemartini. It's a branch of the Capitoline housed in a former power plant out on the Via Ostiense. It seems like few tourists go there -- we saw maybe two dozen people the whole afternoon -- but the combination of ancient sculpture and muscular futurist turbines is incredibly striking.

…centralemontemartini.org/museo/storia_del_m…

When we went in 2008, we, uh, rented . . . ahem, an apart--well, never mind where we stayed, just go to Centrale Montemartini.

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: When In Rome....

LOL, Crans! Did you enjoy your lodging choice?

Thanks, BrooklynBrdge. I like his books too.

MomCat1992: The roof deck offers some great views!

My budget is my usual $200.00 to $250.00 per night with breakfast.

My husband would be very interested in the Centrale Montemartini, but what is it exactly?

What's the best (most convenient, good for tourists, good restaurants, etc.) section of the city for us to stay in?

We'll manage one or two churches, one or two museums, a few plazas but I just want to have time to be able to walk around, eat, drink, and soak it all in, listen to the language, etc. I don't want to rush around like a crazy person for 6 days trying to fit everything in; that would be exhausting and impossible. I want to hit the highlights and enjoy the atmosphere. Which guidebook tells you how to do that?

Oh, and I'd be going in February.

Thank-you all.

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: When In Rome....

bilmin: Nice hotel, great location and it's in the budget. Thanks for that.