We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Selection

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Selection

I will be travelling with my husband to NYC November 11th to 14th - 3 nights. I currently have booked a fully cancellable room at the New York Helmsley which I found online for $275.00 per night. Am looking for 3.5 to 4*.

We are travelling with another couple who will be staying near Union Square (they have travel points - W hotel). It would be nice to stay near there but not mandatory. As long as we are close to subway station.

Our plans are to catch some shows, but eating/drinking will probably be more downtown.

I have found the following deals today (Quikbook) and am wondering if anyone can offer advice on whether it's worth changing reservations:

St. Giles The Court NY - $276.00 - is this worth cancelling Helmsley for?

Murray Hill Secret Sale $329.00 (top end of budget)

Deluxe Soho 4* Secret Sale $329.00

Deluxe 4* Secret Sale near Grand Central Station...Stylish Murray Hill Boutique - King Room - $216.00

Can anyone identify any of those hotels or offer any opinions on whether they would be worth cancelling Helmsley reservation - in particular the $216.00 - this seems to be in the category of too good to be true but perhaps is a deal I should pounce on. Thanks.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
137 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,113 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
996 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,386 reviews
from US$36.00*
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,947 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Selection

Let's start with location. The NY Helmsley, a block from Grand Central terminal, is a perfectly fine location to get to the W Union Square on the 4,5, 6 train and also easy to get to Times Square for theater on the Times Square shuttle (subway) also from Grand Central. The hotel is what I'd call a strong 3*, a bit corporate, but clean, decent sized rooms. Look at more details on

oyster.com

I see it for less than you quote on booking.com fully cancelable at $228 plus tax. (searching from kayak.com) If your $275 price includes tax, they're close but this is still a bit cheaper.

I believe the Deluxe 4* secret sale near Grand Central for $216 is either the St. Giles Court or the St. Giles Tuscany, both on the same block, also near Grand Central. The only thing these St. Giles hotels may not offer that the NY Helmsley does on higher floors is a view. Look at the quikbook description of the secret sale hotel (click on the name "secret hotel etc." and compare it to the description of the 2 St. Giles hotels and I think you'll find they're the same. The big downside to booking any of the secret sales is you have to pay upfront, it's not cancelable for any reason and ofcourse you lose flexibility.

I think the Soho secret sale hotel is the new James. If you like the idea of a trendy new boutique hotel in a downtown location, this is a great option. If I'm wrong (I can't figure out what else it could be) there are no 4* hotels in Soho that would be bad. The James is about a 10-15 trip to the W Union Square, more or less the same time to/from one of the Grand Central area hotels.

If you'd rather be closer to your friends and not spend that much,

west-eleventh.com

is a b & b that has a room for $255/night plus tax available for your dates.

www.west-eleventh.com/rooms_leonardo.htm

The only other hotel I see that might be worth a look is the new Cassa, a 4* on 45th st. off Fifth ave. near Bryant Park. It's on easyclicktravel.com for ~ $276 plus tax.

Before making any decisions, you might want to check, if you have an American Express card whether the promotion with W hotels to book 3 nights and pay for 2 (on weekends) is running for the W Union Square. If you can get this deal it might make staying there worthwhile for you.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Selection

Thank you NYWhiz for your reply. You have given me some options to consider (Amex) not to mention the heads up on a better price for the Helmsley. Also very interested in the B&B option - looks beautiful. At some point, I'm going to have to just make a decision and then just stop looking at the sites as there will always be something that sounds like a better deal!

If I decide on one of the "secret sale" options I'll let you know what hotel it ended up to be.

Again, many thanks.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,947 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Selection

Since I posted my reply, I've had another look at the photos on Oyster of the NY Helmsley vs. the 2 St. Giles hotels. Frankly, the room/bathroom at the NY Helmsley looks just as good if not better than the SG Court and the SG Tuscany looks only a bit better. So unless you really want a boutique feel hotel, if budget is the major issue, I'd stick with a cancelable good deal at the NY Helmsley. Otoh, I really love the idea of trying out the new James (or really any 4* hotel in Soho) if you don't mind paying more.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Selection

Hello NYWhiz

You were right - The James New York it is. Am thrilled. Thank you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Selection

I personally think you'll enjoy staying in Downtown a lot more than staying in Midtown. You'll definitely see a lot more locals there (outside of the Broadway shopping area) as well as around Union Square compared to the tourist-packed areas of Midtown (or business people midweek). Generally, I recommend to most of my friends to stay below 14th Street whenever possible.

Edited: 29 September 2010, 23:55
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,947 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Selection

I hope you'll post back and let us know how the hotel was. I'm very excited for you!

7. Re: Hotel Selection

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2011, 07:49