We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photo of Statue of Liberty

Mansfield...
Level Contributor
59 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Photo of Statue of Liberty

Hi everyone! I'm coming to New York this Thursday thru Saturday. I've never been before, despite living a mere 5 hour drive away my whole life. I'm looking to take a good picture of the Statue of Liberty, me in the forefront, her in the background. However, I don't want to go to Ellis Island or take a ferry there. From what I've researched, Battery Park looks like it might offer a good photo. Any other thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Photo of Statue of Liberty

You will need a good zoom lens from Battery Park. We got a nice picture like you describe while on the 90 minute Waterway cruise.

Edited: 28 September 2010, 18:31
new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photo of Statue of Liberty

Take the free Staten Island Ferry and a good photographer and you are home free. Battery park is probably too far away Now the big question are you driving down or taking a train ?

PS-- the statue is not on Ellis Island it is on Liberty Island -- different place

Edited: 28 September 2010, 19:24
Mansfield...
Level Contributor
59 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Photo of Statue of Liberty

Oops! Yes I meant Liberty Island :) I'm actually flying... don't want to make the drive on a Thursday in traffic.

Hmm, guess I'm going to have to reconsider my photo location.

Jersey City
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Photo of Statue of Liberty

Liberty State Park, Jersey City...closest city to the Statue (not New York ;D) but you'll only get the backside.

Chelmsford, United...
Destination Expert
for Rafina
Level Contributor
473 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Photo of Statue of Liberty

what camera are you using?

if you are using an SLR it gets more complicated but you will probably take a better photo even if you are far from the Statue!

You just have to use a lens with zoom and high aperture.

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Photo of Statue of Liberty

When we were there in early September we did take the Staten Island Ferry. On the way over everyone rushed up to the top (us included) and tried to get pictures of the Statue of Liberty. Meanwhile the smart folks decided to stay on the lower decks towards the back of the boat. The few that were there got awesome pictures I'm sure. So, on the way back we did exactly that. We had maybe 10 people the most at the back of the boat with us. Great pictures. It's a free ride over and took maybe an hour of our time the most.

7. Re: Photo of Statue of Liberty

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2011, 05:18