We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hard time deciding on show to see

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Hard time deciding on show to see

So, we want to do two shows during our next visit in November, but I'm having a difficult time deciding on shows for some reason. We would like to see a comedy because my fiance' loves comedies, but it just doesn't look like there are too many out there right now. I guess it doesn't have to be a comedy as long as it is not totally serious and has some humor mixed in. Some of the shows we've seen and really liked are: Avenue Q, The Drowsy Chaperone, Rock of Ages, Wicked and Jersey Boys, Shows we thought we pretty good were: Mamma Mia, In the Heights, 9 to 5, Stomp, and Phantom of the Opera, and the only show we've ever saw and absolutely disliked was Rent. Do you guys have any suggestions for new shows? On or Off Broadway, it doesn't really matter??? Not the Addams Family though because my fiance' didn't really like the show as a kid, although I think it looks like a lot of fun. Thanks in advance for the help. I've been reading through reviews, but there are just so many.........:O)

Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hard time deciding on show to see

I been looking for the exact same thing today! Trying to figure a show my other half would like. I'm tempted to go see the Pee Wee Herman show :-D

One comedy I came across, that opens in November is:

http://www.broadway.com/shows/elling/

I've got no further than reading that page yet though.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hard time deciding on show to see

That one sounds good. :O) I hadn't read it yet. Thanks!

New York City
Level Contributor
126 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hard time deciding on show to see

The 39 Steps was pretty hilarious. Not a musical, but very clever and enjoyable. It was on Broadway, but recently moved to a slightly smaller theatre off Broadway.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
192 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hard time deciding on show to see

You might consider Promises Promises

www.promisespromisesbroadway.com

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hard time deciding on show to see

Thanks guys. I will check out 39 Steps. I looked at Promises, Promises a little bit ago, and that is definitley a contender. Have you seen it? What did you think of the music? It was high on my list because I love Sean Hayes and Kristin Chenoweth. We are coming Thanksgiving weekend. So, I'm thinking we'll probably need to get tickets soon. :O)

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
181 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hard time deciding on show to see

I would highly recommend La Cage Aux Folles. I saw it 2 weeks ago with my 23 year old daughter and we both LOVED it. It has humor, music and a good story. I've seen most of the shows you've seen and feel the same way about most of them so we like the same things. Go see it!

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hard time deciding on show to see

Weg........which did you like better? Promises, Promises or La Cage Aux Folles? Which do you think would be funnier for a guy? :O) Thanks in advance for your help!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hard time deciding on show to see

Unless he is homophobic I would say La Cage is a better show. Joining the cast of Promises Promises is Molly Shannon if either of you are big SNL fans.

Why not make both those your two shows. Look on www.broadwaybox.com for discounts

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hard time deciding on show to see

He's not homophobic, although I did ask him about seeing Naked Boys Singing, and he said absolutely not! LOL I think both shows sound fun! Thanks everyone for the suggestions. :O) Bil.......the good thing is too, that there will be no kids at these shows, or do you think someone will show up with their 4 year old? LOL

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hard time deciding on show to see

It's not a comedy, but we really enjoyed watching South Pacific.