We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping Question for 20 year old

Alberta
Level Contributor
536 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping Question for 20 year old

Looking for shopping ideas for my trendy 20 year old daughter. She has very good taste but usually her taste exceeds her budget.

We will be staying at the Hampton Inn TS for 4 nights.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping Question for 20 year old

The links to boutique listings that I provided on this thread (second reply) will give her many ideas:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k3959755…

Chelmsford, United...
Destination Expert
for Rafina
Level Contributor
474 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping Question for 20 year old

I always visit Century 21 for shopping!

Great clothing,handbags,shoes in discounted prices.

It's downtown close to WTC.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping Question for 20 year old

I personally hate Century 21. It's about 90% crap and it's out of the way. If you want to go to a designer discount store, head to Union Square for Nordstrom Rack and Filene's Basement. Loehmann's is also a short walk away.

I don't know what you mean by "trendy" specifically, but most foreign 20-somethings love Urban Outfitters in the US. So that would be my top recommendations besides small boutiques.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping Question for 20 year old

I have never been in Century 21 in my life but it is hardly out of the way for most tourists who all seem to make a bee line for the WTC site as their must see stop.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping Question for 20 year old

By "out of the way", I mean that there isn't much in the area besides WTC and no other significant shopping if one wants to go on a shopping spree.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping Question for 20 year old

If you ever find yourself in lower Manhattan, here's my self guided walking tour of the area:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c62611/New-Yor…

Also, if you decide to visit the area, the A, C, E, J, R, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 subway lines all go there.

Personally, I love C21 for kid's clothes, men's clothes, small leather goods/purses, linens and decent NYC souvenirs and Hello Kitty/Dora/SpongeBob stuff for my visiting nieces and nephews. It's the best place I know of to find affordable, machine-washable OVAL-cut tablecloths (It's not a popular tablecloth shape anymore. Most long tablecloths are oblong or rectangular.)

Basically, anything at all except women's clothes. But, I can understand why some do not like it. It's crowded 95% of the time, the cashiers are surly, the dressing rooms are torture chambers and it can all be very overwhelming.

In any case, there are endless shopping opportunities in NYC for any person.

7. Re: Shopping Question for 20 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2011, 07:16