We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Restaurant are we missing?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
204 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
What Restaurant are we missing?

Hi All,

Myself and my husband are coming to New York in 8 weeks time for a 6 night break.

We are looking for a restaurant for the Sunday night after we go to an NHL game (starts 5pm). We don't mind going back to the hotel to get changed so it can be casual or fancy. Our budget is about $300 inc bottle of wine and tip. We love all kinds of food. We are looking for great food, good service and a nice atmosphere.

We were a bit intrigued by Le Bernardin but we have only got into seafood in the last few years and think it might be a bit much for us.

We are not bothered if it is fancy or not as long as the food is good.

Below are the other restaurants we are thinking of to give you a idea of what we like.

Wed - The Perfect Pint (this is the day we arrive so we are looking for something casual where we don't need reservations)

Thu - Basso 56

Fri - Jean George or Nougatine Jean George

Sat - Buddakan

Sun - ?

Mon - Lombardi's

Thanks

Pam x

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What Restaurant are we missing?

Blue Hills would my first choice, you would need to book soon for excellent small plates you could try Casa Mono

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,208 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What Restaurant are we missing?

I would go on the Manhattan or Outer Boroughs forums on Chowhound and narrow it down then come back here with specific places.

London
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What Restaurant are we missing?

Momufuku

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What Restaurant are we missing?

If you are looking at that level of place I would not do it on the night of a hockey

game. It really should be the sole event of the evening . I have not looked at the schedule but it is rare for a game to start at 5pm it usually is later so please check that.

Never mind I see it on Sunday Jan 2nd and it is listed at 5pm-- even so I would stick by my original recommendation.

Edited: 06 October 2010, 20:37
5. Re: What Restaurant are we missing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 October 2010, 20:44
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
204 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What Restaurant are we missing?

Thanks for that, I checked out Blue Hills and Moufuku and they both look lovely. I will show my hubby when he gets home from football.

Our max budget is about $300 but if it was $100 that wouldn't bother us as long as the food is great.

I think our problem is that we have looked on so many websites and guide books the choice is overwhelming.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
204 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What Restaurant are we missing?

8 weeks - 1st December.

Pam x

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What Restaurant are we missing?

OK got it -- I still say save it for another night--- you should savor both events.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What Restaurant are we missing?

Adour

Del Posto

Dovetail

Park Avenue Winter

Balthazar (inexpensive compared to others)

Buddakan doesn't get good reviews btw. I'd go somewhere else instead. There are so many options.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What Restaurant are we missing?

Fete Sau - here's why.

1. BBQ is an indigenous American way of cooking. This is a type of food that you will likely not obtain in Glasgow. At least not of this quality.

2. The place is fun. No waiters. No table service. No plates. You belly up to the counter and choose your meat and fixins. They are piled on a tray and you then look for a place to sit at one of the communal picnic tables. The brisket, ribs, pulled pork and great beans are to die for. Lots of good local beer choices as well.

3. The Williamsburg neighborhood is the place to be after dark. After Fete Sau, you can just wander around the area ducking into whatever bars you happen to feel like visiting. Or, head down to Grand Ferry Park and just watch the tug boats drift by. There is also lots of music in the area.