We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do not use Priceline!

Newport Beach...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Do not use Priceline!

I used Priceline to book a hotel in NYC and was RIPPED off by Priceline! I entered in a 4+ star hotel and they gave me the Renaissance New York Hotel 57 which on various sites is ranked as a 3-3.5 star hotel NOT a 4+ star hotel! They took my price and gave me a lower ranked hotel and when I called to dispute it they said they have their own ranking system! They wouldn't even try to listen to my complaint and said no one at their office could help me and they have no supervisors I could talk to! They rope you in by promising a nicer hotel and then give you a hotel that is lower ranked. Although yes this hotel looks nice, I am paying way more to stay here than is worth it! The Reniassance Hotel's website even lists it for less than we are paying! And for my husband and myself we only get a double bed because Priceline does not factor in the bed situation. PLEASE TAKE MY ADVICE AND DO NOT USE PRICELINE! You will be disappointed and they will mislead you!! This is my first and LAST time using Priceline!!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,520 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do not use Priceline!

betterbidding.com

is one of several websites that lists what hotels PL uses by area and star level. Had you checked there, you would have seen which hotels they consider 4*. They also have a wins calendar where you can see what prices people have paid and at what hotels. The fact that you bid more than you should have is actually not their fault. But I am sympathetic to what you're saying and I agree unless you know the ins and outs of how they work, it could be disappointing.

Newport Beach...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Do not use Priceline!

Thank you for your response. No I have not seen betterbidding.com but I will definitely look there. It was my first and last time using Priceline and I really feel mislead especially seeing how the hotel itself does not consider itself a 4 star hotel. Thank you for your suggestion re betterbidding.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do not use Priceline!

I think that anyone who tries to impose his own star system on another ranking system is headed for trouble. They didn't rip you off you just didn't understand the rules of the game... to them it is a 4 star to others a 3.5 who is to say who is right.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do not use Priceline!

Unfortunately, this isn't really Priceline's fault. You simply bid without doing enough research. The site mentioned above is a great one for navigating Priceline.

Btw, Priceline has a guarantee. If you're in fact paying more with your bid than the price on the hotel's website, there is a way to submit that issue and you get the difference plus an extra % back. I've taken advantage of it once before without issues.

Star ratings in the US are approximate and vary depending on who is rating. That's something that's mentioned on BetterBidding.

If you take the time to learn how to use Priceline well, you will end up getting amazing deals not available elsewhere. Hopefully, you'll choose to do this and will give it another try.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do not use Priceline!

Priceline is excellent but you have to understand how it works.

It can work against you if you don't fully understand how it works.

Yes - some of the hotels Priceline considers four star aren't necessarily Michelin 4 star hotels. Priceline does indeed have a different rating system however you're not going to get a Motel 6 when you bid four star.

I generally need a room with one King / Queen bed and I don't need a room with two twins. This is a risk you take as the hotel is required to guarantee Priceline two twin beds. They're not required to give you a King / Queen however most hotels, based on availability, will be all too happy to make the switch for you.

Priceline can be great but you really have to understand how it works. The more you learn, the more you may find it is a great asset.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do not use Priceline!

That's a bit unfair to Priceline. I have been using them and Hotwire for years and have saved thousands of dollars. I wouldn't be able to afford to travel from the UK to the US twice a year if it wasn't for these opaque booking sites.

Familiarize yourself a bit better with how they work, and with better bidding website and then try again. last time I stayed in NYC I got a 3 star hotel for $80 a night. Worked for me.

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do not use Priceline!

I have used Priceline in NYC for years and had great results getting great hotels for as little as $110 a night. Recently though there haven't been a great deal of bargains and you need to be careful and make sure you aren't paying more than rack rate. The websites you were given are very helpful.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,559 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do not use Priceline!

I still have fond memories of my $70 Priceline room at Le Parker Meridien a few years back, maybe 2003 or 2004...huge room with great views...$70...those were the days lol...

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do not use Priceline!

SoCal,

Unfortunately you weren't that experienced with Priceline when you bid.

Interestigly, just yesterday, there was a post on here, see link, regarding the power and influence of TA and other such forums.

Your post " Do not use Priceline " is an example of such type practises,

It might be a good idea for all posters to be more aware of the consequences to both business's and prospective traveler's when they post to public forums. people from all over the world read these things.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k3974649…

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,967 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do not use Priceline!

I love Priceline, and they regularly get me 50-60% off retail prices. But you have to know how to play their game. They're perfectly up front about rating hotels themselves, although they bury their list of typical brands in their Web site.

There is no official star rating agency in the US. Go look at different travel Web sites - Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity, and Michelin will all rate the same hotel differently. You have to pay attention to the specific site you're booking on.

If you're paying more than the retail rate while using Priceline, you're doing something crazily wrong. Go look at BetterBidding.com or Biddingfortravel.com, or buy the book "Priceline.com for Dummies."