We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late 30's couple looking for fun bars/places to dance

Voorhees, New Jersey
2 posts
Save Topic
Late 30's couple looking for fun bars/places to dance

My boyfriend & I are coming this weekend. Staying at the Gand hyatt in Mid town. Any suggestions on fun bars and places to dance. Plus, great eats...doesn't have to be fancy:-) We just want to have fun!!!!! Plus I love mexican food. any thoughts?

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late 30's couple looking for fun bars/places to dance

Note that because of the odd "cabaret" laws in NYC, "fun bars" and "places to dance" are two entirely separate categories: dancing in the great majority of bars is prohibited in NYC, and if you try it you will be told to stop by the management, which will not want to jeopardize its liquor license. For the most part, if you want to dance, it is necessary to go to a dance club, and not a bar.

Voorhees, New Jersey
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Late 30's couple looking for fun bars/places to dance

Sorry to confuse. i meant these as two separate suggestion requests.

Thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late 30's couple looking for fun bars/places to dance

You're going to need to be more specific.

By bars, are you talking about cocktail lounges, beer-and-shot places, gay bars, frat bars, art bars, etc.?

What sorts of clubs are you interested in? Do you want places where people dress up, have bottle service, etc., or are you more interested in places focused more on the music?

For Mexican food, are you interested in nice places/sit-down restaurants or taquerias?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late 30's couple looking for fun bars/places to dance

Agree with Crans. We need more info. This is NYC. There are a ton of places that fit yours needs.

For food, what type of atmosphere, type of food, price per person?

For bars and clubs, what type of crowd? There is high end pretentious stuff, sometimes with covers mostly around Meatpacking district. And there are laid back bars where no dressing up is necessary. Some of these have dancing, most don't. Some have bands.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late 30's couple looking for fun bars/places to dance

Can somebody just give these people an idea. OK, I'll start.

One of the places that I like to visit is Radegast Hall in Williamsburg. Here's why:

1. First and foremost it gets you out of Manhattan and into WBurg, one of the most vibrant neighborhoods in NYC. It's midnight, and the streets are still jammed with revelers.

2. While they do have a full bar, they are more known as a biergarten. There are two large rooms. One room is more of a regular bar, where they often set up for a band. The other room is lined with long tables where the locals hang out. Young couples with kids, groups of friends, and a generally laid back group. Meet the locals over pints of good beer.

3. While they do have a regular menu, I usually eschew that for the grilled wursts and fries that are prepared in the back. Good solid German f@rt food.

4. They often have great music here. Lots of jazz and swing. Last time [or was it the second to last time] that I was here, they had a great Dixieland swing band and the small dance floor was hopping.

Here is their web site. Check under the events link to find out when they have music. ENJOY.

6. Re: Late 30's couple looking for fun bars/places to dance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2011, 06:17