We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve Suggestions Please

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
New Years Eve Suggestions Please

Hi all

My boyfriend and I are coming to NY for the first time in Dec, we are staying 27 Dec - 2 Jan. We have a few things booked already, ice hockey, wicked, pizza tour - however I am looking for suggestions for NYE night. I know a lot of people ask so I apologise if people are repeating themselves but I would really appreciate suggestions.

We are staying at Chambers hotel, and I not really interested in seeing the ball drop so anyway away from Times Square is fine.

Ideally I would like a go somewhere nice to eat with some kind of entertainment, I really like the idea of a Jazz/swing kind of night but I am not sure what will be available.

I know I am very vague so I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years Eve Suggestions Please

The problem is that NYE is a special night so what a place has normally may not apply--- we could give you a list of places that have Jazz or Swing but their plans for NYE may be quite different-- what I can tell you is that music on that night usually means a big price tag because so many people who normally don't go out are out there and willing to pay it.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years Eve Suggestions Please

Thank you for your reply. I will keep looking at other people's post also, but I think it is probably best to search nearer the time.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years Eve Suggestions Please

Maybe the moderators could pin a single topic at the top for all NYE discussion. I've seen a lot of threads on the subject, and as i'll be in NYC for the first time this hogmanay it can be hard to review all the threads and suggestions that come up.

It's a bit of a shame the ball drop is so restrictive (need to arrive really early, then penned in for hours, no booze allowed and no toilets) as I'd have thought that a big street party in the middle of manhattan could be great if properly organised. I appreciate that too many people turn already though!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Years Eve Suggestions Please

The problem is that with over a million people in a confined area-- a big street party becomes a brawl-- just witness all of the hooliganism that goes along with your soccer games in the UK--- no thanks-- Want to drink and go crazy rent a hotel room and buy your booze in a store.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Years Eve Suggestions Please

Swing 46 is a popular supper club with jazz and swing music:

http://www.swing46.com/

The Darby is a new club with that same old-school vibe. It just opened and is super trendy.

blackbookmag.com/guides/details/the-darby-we…

I don't know what either has planned for NYE, though -- a lot of party info won't be released until November or December.

Fellow DE KateOz has recommended the NYE party at Tribeca Grill, which looks to have swing, funk, and r&b dancing:

myriadrestaurantgroup.com/tribecagrill/index…

Edited: 08 October 2010, 17:45
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Years Eve Suggestions Please

You are correct that you should wait until after Thanksgiving to figure out your plans given what you'd like to do. Many of the smaller Jazz Clubs won't have NYE plans up on their sites at least until then.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New Years Eve Suggestions Please

Sorry for bumping such an old topic but I only just saw bilmin's response to my idea about having a proper street party with portaloos provided, and maybe even the possibility of booze being permitted for the revellers.

I thought your comment about the UK was in pretty bad taste. Hooliganism at football matches is pretty rare here nowadays. I'm a season ticket holder at a Scottish Premier League side and have hardly seen a fight let alone a full scale brawl in years. And of course, NYE isn't the same as a sporting event with two sets of opposing fans.

Edinburgh, a city much, much smaller than New York manages what I would say is a pretty decent street party with toilets and alcohol available most years (weather permitting). I was merely suggesting that New York could try the same.

To be honest, I'm stunned anyone goes given that there are no toilets. What do these folk do!? I'd like to think they jump into a pub or a restaurant, but the fact you aren't allowed back into a pen if you leave suggests that isn't an option!

Edited: 08 November 2010, 16:57
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,350 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: New Years Eve Suggestions Please

New Year's Eve in Times Square used to be that sort of event, where ocals wouldhow up, hang put, and pass some flasks around at midnight. Then it got popular with tourists, and the crowds got bigger than could be safely managed informally, and now it's something the locals avoid at all costs.

Port-a-potties for a million people are expensive. New Year's Eve in Times Square is a free event. Do the math.

As for what people do, they plan to hold it in, or... well, there's a reason the locals avoid it. Seriously. And yes, much smaller cities manage much smaller events with no problems. No city manages another event like this one, at least not that I'm aware of.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Years Eve Suggestions Please

And you may want to deny it but we see the BBC reports on the whole hooliganism thing and it is not a thing of the past. And I would venture to guess that it is not the team versus team rivalry that fuels it but rather the Booze that is consumed. You clearly have no concept of the set up and the number of people that show up. If drinking were allowed ( and I will be drinking that night) it would be an absolute horror show if wholesale drinking were allowed for people who will be there 10-12 hours on average. There will be no access to anything so it may be this night is not for you and you should look elsewhere like dinner at Friday's for $400 a person.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: New Years Eve Suggestions Please

Don't worry, since we found out the way NYE at Times Square works me and the gf have decided that we'll be giving it a miss. Which is a shame - seeing the ball drop is probably the most famous image from the USA at new year and it would be nice to see it in person. However, standing about in the cold for eight hours does sounds like a (rather smelly) nightmare.

As I said earlier, I do understand why the city don't do anything to encourage more people to turn up, as more than enough come anyway!

We actually were considering TGI's but have decided that if we're gonna spend that much money at new years we want going to get our moneys worth. I mean we could dine at per se for that kinda cash! (Maybe not on Hogmanay tho...)

Still no idea what we'll be doing, but I'll be keeping an eye on the forum over the next few weeks for an event that suits us.

Edited: 08 November 2010, 19:58