We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying jeans in NYC - brands that we know

Netherlands
Level Contributor
868 posts
248 reviews
Save Topic
Buying jeans in NYC - brands that we know

We are going to NYC on October 22nd. and we are looking for places to get a good deal on jeans of Levi's, Wrangler, Lee etcetera

Are there any " brand shops" that have a good deal? Are there brands that are much hotter than the ones i mentioned?

New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying jeans in NYC - brands that we know

Based on nothing other than the fact those are the brands that I wear, I don't think anyone would call Levi's, Wrangler, and Lee jeans "hot"; they are reliable, traditional, standard brands that have been around for a century. A store with a wide selection of sizes (although, alas, no longer the bargain place it once was) is Dave's, at 581 Sixth Avenue between 16th and 17th Streets.

Norfolk.
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying jeans in NYC - brands that we know

Hi

This may or may not be of use to you but my wife loves Lee Riders can obtained from K Mart at a very good price.

It depends on whether you are a label junkie or just want a pair of jeans that fit!

Mick

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,909 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying jeans in NYC - brands that we know

I think between the exchange rate in your favor and lack of import/export taxes you may pay when buying them at home, regular prices here will look like bargains. Wrangler is also sold by Kmart which has 2 stores in Manhattan one on 34th st. near Macy's and the other downtown in the village. Prices are ~ $20/pair.

Levi's has their own stores scattered around Manhattan- one across from Bloomingdale's on Lexington Ave., another in Soho, another near Union Square and one in Times Square.

There are designer jeans that are much "hotter" here than the ones you mention but they can also be 5-10x the price! Barney's Coop is known to have a good selection of designer brands and National Jean Co. is another place to try if you want to be overwhelmed.

nymag.com/listings/…

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying jeans in NYC - brands that we know

Based on the OP's original list it does not look like they would have any interest in "designer jeans" --- good for you--- all of those brands are readily available here.

Netherlands
Level Contributor
868 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying jeans in NYC - brands that we know

what are the prices we are looking at?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying jeans in NYC - brands that we know

"Are there brands that are much hotter than the ones i mentioned?"

Yes there are brands that are much hotter than the ones you have mentioned.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,237 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying jeans in NYC - brands that we know

I bought several pairs of Jeans and spent about 25$ each, so yes, for us Dutchies that's a pretty good deal.. ^_^

http://www.unlimitedjeans.com/

I think they have 2 stores in Manhattan

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying jeans in NYC - brands that we know

You can buy jeans in NYC from anywhere the mid $10 range up to hundeds of dollars depending on the brand and where you buy it. So price range is very wide as the possible selection.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,909 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying jeans in NYC - brands that we know

"what are the prices we are looking at?"

For what???? For the brands you mentioned, we've already said from ~$16-45. For the designer brands ~$75-250.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying jeans in NYC - brands that we know

Here's two articles from the NYTimes about blue jeans .... both fit and pricing. The first article is all about brands and their fit. The second article claims that pricing on jeans in Banana Republic has gone down (and they have galready gone down in the stores).

nytimes.com/2010/01/21/fashion/21jeans.html…

nytimes.com/2009/10/29/fashion/29JEANS.html…

Other popular brands are here in the states are Diesel, Ksubi, True Religion, 7 for All Mankind, Citizens of Humanity, etc., But take a look. They aint cheap. BTW ..... I think "fading" is out and stressing is still in (but don't over do it).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qn3tel9FWU

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkD20ajVxnY&ob=av2e

[sorry, couldn't decide which one to play]

Edited: 10 October 2010, 21:09