We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 nights - $1000

Manchester
Level Contributor
188 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
5 nights - $1000

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone could give me the names of any hotels in the midtown area which me and the girlfriend could stay at in June 2011 for 5 nights.

I know our budget isn't great, so I was hoping for a few suggestions on reasonably priced hotels in the midtown area.

We do not have exact dates as yet, but have been looking at around 4th - 9th June, we are flexible however.

Many thanks in advance.

Martin

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 nights - $1000

What you are really looking for is a place that advertises at $175 plus tax. You should be able to do that but I would just advise you to not be tied to the midtown area as you can get from anywhere to anywhere in Manhattan on the subway in very short order. It will also depend on when in June as prices spike when there is a local graduation like at NYU. but you are probably ok with those dates/ just expand your search and book something you can cancel if a better deal comes along, There is no reason to really stay only in midtown

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,930 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 nights - $1000

Martin it's much too early to be looking for next June. The only prices you'll see now are "rack rates" which means what the hotel would like to charge. Whatever you do, don't book anything cancelable now. I'd wait til Jan/Feb at least to look. You could book something cancelable now. On quikbook.com they have the Radio City Apartments for $197/night plus tax (tax adds ~ 15%) that's cancelable. It's a well liked budget hotel in a good convenient location but frankly, if you're young (20's-early 30's) you might prefer being in an area with more young people/nightlife. I'd sign up for emails from travelzoo.com and travel-ticker.com

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 nights - $1000

Hey,

My partner & I have been to NYC twice in the last couple of years & stayed at the Library Hotel (Midtown) a little pricey but well worth it if you can up your budget a bit, we managed to get the hotel @ hotel.com. Enjoy

Manchester
Level Contributor
188 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 nights - $1000

Ok thanks for all the tips. I think I will just get the flights sorted for now then. We are off to Vegas either before or after the stay in New York, so we want to try and keep the cost reasonable for the whole trip, hence a lower than normal budget (well for NYC anyway) :o)

blimin09, thanks, I will check out what the graduation dates are for 2011. I will also be more flexible as to where I look at staying, without knowing New York in great detail, this just seemed quite central.

nywhiz, thanks for the input, I think I will just get the flights sorted for now and then take it from there, look at hotels Jan/Feb. I guess I am just after a few ideas of hotel names to look out for. There are so many to choose from it is like information overload lol. I am in my early 30's so if you have an area that might be more suitable for us that would be appreciated.

Red4ever07, thanks for the suggestion, I will check this place out and see what I can stretch to.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 nights - $1000

If you like to be a lively area with other people your age and a bunch of restaurants and nightlife, you should be looking to stay in downtown instead of midtown. Your budget is low, but you should be able to find something in Chelsea. East Village have a few hotels, albeit with typical small NYC rooms, in your budget like East Houston Hotel and Off Soho Suites. Washington Square Hotel is also a good option for you.

If you're going to Vegas, you may want to buy a multi-destination flight, i.e. home-Vegas - NYC - home instead of a roundtrip to Vegas from NYC.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 nights - $1000

Dangerous move going to Vegas before NYC. Obviously you are looking to just burn money ;)

At least you'll get some great hotel deals in Vegas to balance the arm & leg you will donate for a hotel in NYC. I agree with previous responses. You would probably have a better time if you stayed outside of Midtown and just hop a cab or subway to visit the attractions you're interested in that area. Regardless of what people say about the subway, it's still pretty efficient & cost-friendly for getting from point A to B in NYC (especially since so many lines run through midtown/times square) Otherwise, on top of spending a lot on your room, you're going to be spending ridiculously jacked-up tourist prices on food, etc. We went to the Times Square Friday's once and spent $90 on sodas and appetizers (seriously). A little extra research and help from TA locals (or YELP New York) can help you find lovely restaurants & fun bars that won't cost your savings in the West Village/East Village that may be more suited to you and your girlfriend, rather than tour groups and families (midtown).

Finally, whatever you do DO NOT STAY AT THE HOTEL PENNSYLVANIA which is across from Penn Station on 34th Street. When I was younger and just visiting the city from the suburbs with friends, we got a room for $100/night once before we knew better. Twin beds, one pillow each, and wet carpeting in the hallway. In fact, I'm going to write a poor review after I submit this post.

Good luck! After all, perhaps you'll win enough in Vegas to stay at the Waldorf! ;)

7. Re: 5 nights - $1000

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2010, 15:18
Ozark, Missouri
Level Contributor
507 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 nights - $1000

Those dates coincide with ours so I can share what I have found so far. The best deal I am seeing for that week is the Distrikt Hotel's non-refundable, non-cancellable, non-changeable rates. Your dates would be just over $1100 with tax. Reviews of that place are quite good; we have stayed on the block before and, while the street itself is rather ugly, you are 30 seconds from a subway stop and 30 seconds from 9th avenue where you can find many good restaurants.

I would not book that yet, but it is something to watch. We usually book in April for that week in June but I keep my eye out all year for good deals.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,456 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 nights - $1000

posted by jillllllllll <<Finally, whatever you do DO NOT STAY AT THE HOTEL PENNSYLVANIA which is across from Penn Station on 34th Street. When I was younger and just visiting the city from the suburbs with friends, we got a room for $100/night once before we knew better. Twin beds, one pillow each, and wet carpeting in the hallway. In fact, I'm going to write a poor review after I submit this post. >>

I agree that the Hotel Pennsylvania is not a good option, but how long ago was your visit "when you were young"? Even if just a year or two, it's a bit "after the fact" to be posting a review ... be it good or bad, don't you think?

Personally, when I look at reviews I only look at the most recent 20 or so reviews and would totally ignore something posted today for a visit a year or more ago. Just like I don't give much credence to reviews that a place is "perfect with no room for improvement" or one that is so horrible that they makes it sound like a park bench would have been a better place to stay.

Manchester
Level Contributor
188 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 nights - $1000

Ok thanks all, I think I will have a look at downtown rather than midtown then. I have also been pricing up multi stop flights with an internal to get me from New York - Vegas then I will fly home from Vegas.

SuzyTraveler - who did you get that price with for the Distrikt Hotel? Looks really good value for money, although I won't book yet I am just interested to know.

As the hotels in Vegas are reasonable this is my saving grace to keeping the cost affordable :o)