We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

parking outside Manhattan cheaper?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
192 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
parking outside Manhattan cheaper?

Hi,

I am driving to NYC next Thursday and I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about parking. I don't plan on using my car for the 4 days that I am there, so I'm wondering if I'm better off parking in New Jersey (or somewhere else) and taking a subway into Manhattan.

I'd love to save a few bucks on parking and avoiding driving in Manhattan would be beneficial to me and those in a hurry around me!

any suggestions would be very appreciated!

thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,527 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: parking outside Manhattan cheaper?

If you do a text search for parking outside Manhattan there are dozens of previous posts on the subject. One thought is the ferry terminal at Port Imperial in Weehawken, NJ run by

nywaterway.com

I THINK the overnight rate is ~$12/day. If you use the ferry service to get to Manhattan and back, it's $8.50/person each way which can cut into savings if you're a family and only coming for 4 days. There's also bus/minivan service that passes the ferry terminal for less money but I'm not sure exactly how much.

To get an idea of cheapest Manhattan parking, have you tried looking on

bestparking.com

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
192 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: parking outside Manhattan cheaper?

thanks for the reply.

what a great site that bestparking is. I did check it out and will use it if i don't find something outside Manhattan.

So I guess there's no subway from NJ. I think the ferry is too expensive and would take too much time.

Is there a cheap 'park & ride' somewhere that involves the subway?

thanks again

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: parking outside Manhattan cheaper?

In NYC area, the term "subway" only refers to the subway in NYC.

There are trains from NJ. The train goes under the river, but is not called or considered the subway

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,506 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: parking outside Manhattan cheaper?

The NYC subway does not run into New Jersey. There is a park-and-ride lot off exist 15X of the New Jersey Turnpike that is served by New Jersey Transit train service. But the price is no longer as attractive as it once was:

www.parkfast.com/content/secaucus-parking.jsp

FYI, the ferry ride is just 8 minutes long; the ferry fare is $4.25 more than the train fare from Secaucus Junction to NYC's Penn Station. But NY Waterway does offer its passengers free bus transportation to/from major points in Manhattan.

nywaterway.com/PortImperialWeehawkenRoute.as…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,527 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: parking outside Manhattan cheaper?

The ferry doesn't take long at all. It's more a price issue if you're a family.

There's a PATH train that's like a subway between NJ and Manhattan but no dedicated parking for PATH. You can find public garages near some of the PATH stations by using

maps.google.com

Type

Jersey City, NJ PATH stations

at the top of the map. You'll be shown a bunch. Select one (I'd look at Pavonia/Newport) and then use the "search nearby" for parking garages. There's probably a simpler way but I can't remember what it is.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: parking outside Manhattan cheaper?

There is a garage near the Exchange place path, and one at the Newport center mall, both convient to the path train, but I don't think you'll save enough to make it worth while.

Iconparking.com offers discounts for advance bookings. might be your best option.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,506 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: parking outside Manhattan cheaper?

I just used NY Waterway's "live chat" feature to inquire about overnight parking. Bernice tells me the charge is just $10/day. Which means it will be cheaper for you -- if you're not traveling with a group -- to park there and ride the ferry than to park at a public garage convenient to a PATH station in Jersey City or Hoboken (assuming you could even find a spot there by the time you arrive mid-day) for $20, the cheapest price I know of there, and ride the PATH train to/from Manhattan at $1.75 each way.

Edited: 12 October 2010, 17:09
NJ
Level Contributor
156 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: parking outside Manhattan cheaper?

Also in NJ, there are parking lots near the PATH station in Harrison (direct line to World Trade Center stop in NYC) that, last time I checked, were between $7 and $10 per day, so this could be your cheapest option. However, most of the lots are outdoors and not particularly well guarded at night.

Princeton Junction...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,136 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: parking outside Manhattan cheaper?

Parking by the PATH in New Jersey is just as bad if not worrse than parking in Manhattan. Plus there is plenty to do in New Jersey besides park your car.

www.visitnj.org

www.goironbound.com

www.njskylands.com

www.redbank.com

www.visitsouthjersey.com

www.stayinthemeadowlands.com

www.wildwoodsnj.com

www.myjerseyshore.Com

www.destinationjerseycity.com

www.destinationtrenton.com

www.myartmymillville.com

www.newbrunswickrocks.com

www.njsouthernshore.com

www.lambertville.org

www.atlanticcitynj.com

www.goelizabethnj.com

www.mullicahill.com

www.asburyboardwalk.com

www.mainstreetmountholly.com

www.newbrunswick.com

www.ocnj.us

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,506 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: parking outside Manhattan cheaper?

Can you leave a car overnight at any of the parking lots by the Harrison PATH station? I seem to remember checking on that for another poster some time back, and it wasn't possible.