We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a hotel in midtown for a weekend trip

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Looking for a hotel in midtown for a weekend trip

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a hotel in midtown for a weekend + a day (most likely Dec 17-20). I'm looking for a hotel that is <$150/night (would love to keep it at $120/night) and has cheaper parking or free parking if possible (I'll be driving from Toronto). I know this might be hard as it's really close to Xmas, but any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a hotel in midtown for a weekend trip

Probably impossible.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,553 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a hotel in midtown for a weekend trip

The only hotel with free parking is the Travel Inn which happens to be in midtown (extreme west side). Near it the Skyline has $10/night parking, still a bargain. Both of these are considered good BUDGET hotels. It looks like you can book the Skyline for $169/night for 2 people on booking.com .

I think the only way to find a decent hotel for less is to bid on Priceline closer to the trip. In the meantime, I'd book something cancelable. In addition to the Skyline, I see the Desmond Tutu Center is on quikbook for $169/night plus tax (tax adds ~ $15%) While not in midtown, it's not that far south and a really lovely place. I think they include continental breakfast. You can find nearby parking on

bestparking.com

You might also want to consider parking at the Port Imperial ferry terminal in Weehawken, NJ for $10/night and take the ferry over to Manhattan. The ferry service then has a free bus that will get you near the hotel.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a hotel in midtown for a weekend trip

Your budget is unreasonable, especially for something with parking. Parking alone in NYC easily runs $50 a day at most places. And the lowest budget hotels are at least $120-150 before taxes.

You may even have a hard time finding something in Long Island City or Jersey City/Hoboken with your needs and price range.

This has nothing to do with Christmas. You're underestimating costs in NYC.

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a hotel in midtown for a weekend trip

Okay, let's try looking at this a different way...

What's the cheapest way for me to visit NY midtown area during the Dec 17-20 weekend? Even if I have to stay in NJ and take my car into the city or take public transportation ... Any suggestions?

I'm a student right now, so money is always tight.

Thanks in advance!

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a hotel in midtown for a weekend trip

First of all - you do not need a car in NYC. if you find a hotel in NJ - it may offer free or discounted parking.

Take some of the advice given - NYWhiz offers some good advice or you can use GOOGLE to search hotels in Jersey with easy access to NYC. Jersey City is an option. It's going to take some research and computer time to find something that time of year in your price range.

Happy searching.

Poppa

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,506 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a hotel in midtown for a weekend trip

You could book a king-bedded room at the truly lovely Westin in Jersey City for just $139/night (prepaid, nonrefundable reservation) via the hotel's own web site; with taxes, the total for 3 nights will be about $475. This is a great price for that hotel; I think the cheapest I've seen it on Hotwire was $116, and that was at a far less popular time of year.

starwoodhotels.com/westin/…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g46531-d1172031…

Self-parking is an additional $22/night; valet parking is $30/night. PATH train transportation into Manhattan, from the nearby Pavonia-Newport station, is $1.75 each way.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/schedule.html

The still cheaper NJ option that I think is most viable for you: the Hyatt Place at the Plaza at Harmon Meadow in Secaucus, NJ. A king-bedded room -- with 42" TV, living room area, wet bar that includes a compact refrigerator and microwave -- can be for $116/night. Your 3-night total there, with taxes, will be $400.

secaucus.place.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/place/

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g46812-d98512-R…

That rate includes free parking, free WiFi and a free (light) breakfast. AND the New Jersey Transit buses to NYC (the Port Authority Bus Terminal, just west of Times Square) stop right across the street from its entrance; the Hyatt Place is #30 on this map:

www.harmonmeadow.com/pdf/HMMap0708VLR.pdf

Figure $4 in bus fare each way.

Edited: 14 October 2010, 04:35
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,506 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a hotel in midtown for a weekend trip

P.S. Because you're a student, let me add that many hotels will not allow someone under the age of 21 to check in. So if you're younger than that, call the hotel before you make a reservation.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a hotel in midtown for a weekend trip

Are you coming straight from Toronto and heading back or are you using the car for something else?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,506 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for a hotel in midtown for a weekend trip

There are no bargain airfares between Toronto and the NYC area airports; you'd have to pay over $300 for a round-trip in mid-December. Megabus runs between Toronto and NYC, but I don't know if you want to sit on a bus for 11 hours; if you purchased tix today for that 3-day weekend, the bus fare is $126.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,553 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for a hotel in midtown for a weekend trip

The Holiday Inn in Ft. Lee, NJ has rates of $105-130/night depending on whether you prepay or not. Parking there is free. BUT while there's a bus nearby that would take you into Manhattan, on the return trip, the bus stop is on a 4 lane highway with no way to cross the road. So in order to stay there, it's really best to drive your own car into Manhattan and park it. So that can add ~ $20/day at least to cost.

The Super 8 in Brooklyn (make sure you look at Brooklyn, NY as there are Super 8's in Brooklyns in other states) might be another option. It's near a subway stop that's part of the NYC subway system, there are rates in the low $100's~$113-130) and it says there's free parking although I'd double check.