We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westchester Airport

London
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Westchester Airport

Just looking at Jet Blue flights to go on from NY to Florida, never knew Westchester existed until today, I found a few older threads about it but I wondered if it was worth chosing over JFK? Is it worth the hassle and cost of getting there? Would a yellow cab take you there? I don't want to do the train then bus thing with kids and bags etc. I thought it must be less crowded than JFK, and less time to get through security? Any thoughts?

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westchester Airport

Westchester would not be serviced by cab but you could take a Metro north train to White Plains then a cab or maybe even a bus . I might do that if I were traveling alone and had time to kill But honestly on a domestic flight I would just go to JFK. Purchase your tickets on line ahead of time and the check in and security are much less than on international flights. When comparing the times of getting to the gate for two people starting out from Manhattan one going to JFK jet blue and one going to Westchester (however) my guess is that time wise and money wise the guy going to JFK wins every time on all counts.

and Jet Blue has their own terminal at JFK so you are not in with everybody else

Edited: 14 October 2010, 19:28
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,632 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Westchester Airport

I agree that the JetBlue Terminal at JFK is new and well designed, and so there's nothing wrong with using it. If the tickets to and from Westchester are enough cheaper that you're willing to kill some time getting there, it's not that hard to get to. The cheapest way is to take a MetroNorth train to White Plains station, and get the BeeLine bus to the airport - here's the link for info on that. (You can use a MetroCard - regular OR unlimited - on the BeeLine bus.)

airport.westchestergov.com/index.php…

Faster but more expensive would be to take the MetroNorth train to North White Plains station and get a cab. The cab ride taikes about 15 minutes. The bus takes longer.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,632 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Westchester Airport

And to answer your original question, the fare in a yellow cab to HPN airport is the standard fare to the county line and then double the fare between the county line to your destination. Drivers have the right to refuse to take you to Westchester if they've been in the car too long.

nyc.gov/html/…17

I would be very surprised if any driver knew how to get there, so you'll have to be prepared with directions. I would look into booking a car service like Dial7 from the city if you don't want to deal with public transportation.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westchester Airport

If you book far enough ahead I believe that JFK will actually be a few dollars cheaper than Westchester and will have more flights.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westchester Airport

I frequently fly back and forth from NYC to Florida and have used both JFK and HPN for JetBlue. I always check fares for both airports and I rarely found flying in or out of HPN to be less expensive and JetBlue out of JFK has many more flights to chose from. JetBlues terminal in JFK is quick and efficient and I never had to wait on a long line checking in (I always do online or kiosk check in anyway), or at their security gate. A taxi from NYC to White Plains will cost a lot IF you can get one to take you there and a car service will be well over 100.00.

So, unless the airfare is significantly less, taking into account transportation, you are better off using JFK.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westchester Airport

A while back I really wanted to make a last minute trip to Chicago and the fares from the New York City airports (including Newark) were outrageous. It was last minute and the walk-up fares were over $500. at the time. American Airlines had weekend webfares from White Plains to Chicago for less than $150.

Considering the difference - we went to White Plains. We took the train from Grand Central and that was very easy. It stopped at 125th Street and then White Plains. The bus was across the street and it took us right into the terminal. It was fine. It was a bit of a hassle with the bus and I know we could have taken a taxi but we figured we had enough time and we'd rather spend the money on dining out in Chicago (which we did).

The jetBlue terminal at JFK is smooth as butter - really nice. I'm sure there are queue's at peak times but I've never seen a queue. The JFK AirTrain goes right into the new terminal and you don't even have to go outside. I remember there was a long moving walkway but it was nothing to worry about. The jetBlue terminal has wonderful restaurants and stuff - it is actually a destination in and of itself (but only jetBlue passengers can have access). The new terminal is actually a reason to choose jetBlue even if there are other options. The Delta terminal at JFK is worse than a bad bus terminal in a third world country - and that is being polite. I've seen more first time visitors at the Delta terminal at JFK say they're never coming back to the U.S. Sad.

Funny how the internal low-cost airline has such a beautiful terminal and the world's largest / global high fare airline - Delta - has such a terrible terminal.

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
918 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westchester Airport

If you don't want to do the train and bus thing, I would recommend using a car service rather than a yellow taxi. The car fare should be around $130 one way. Unless, the fare from Westchester is really that much lower than LaGuardia or JFK, I wouldn't venture up to White Plains. You'll have a lot more departure options and be better off if your flight from White Plains should be delayed or cancelled. The JetBlue terminal at JFK is much more comfortable the White Plains. It's an old terminal with only one small waiting area for all departing airlines.

London
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Westchester Airport

Thanks for the replies everyone - I think I'll stick with JFK.

9. Re: Westchester Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2011, 05:18