We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Museums to choose for family with 7 year old son?

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
163 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
What Museums to choose for family with 7 year old son?

My husband and I will be visiting NYC for 6 days November 25 - 30, 2010 and would like to take our 7 year old son to some of the great museums NYC has to offer. The only problem is there are so many choices that I cannot choose which ones we should visit during our stay. The museums that we are looking at are:

*American Museum of Natural History

*Museum of Modern Art

*Metropolitan Museum of Art

*Manhattan Children's Museum (Is my son too old for this?)

*Brooklyn Children's Museum (Is my son too old for this?)

*Sony Wonder Technology Lab

Any suggestions on which of the above museums or any that I have not mentioned that we MUST see would be greatly appreciated.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What Museums to choose for family with 7 year old son?

*The American Museum of Natural History is a MUST*

The Intrepid is fascinating and many children his age seem to like the Transit Museum

Obviously for a world class art museum, the Metropolitan Museum of Art is a MUST.

Check for hours, as you are going to be here for Thanksgiving. I wouldn't bother with the Children's museums. There are far more interesting attractions unique to NYC such as ESB / TOTR, Central Park, Bronx Zoo, Statue of Liberty (or just a ride on the Staten Island Ferry) for you to explore and enjoy as a family.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What Museums to choose for family with 7 year old son?

There are several museums that a 7 year old would love in NYC.

First is the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space museum. This museum is located on a pier in the Hudson River and consists of a decomissioned WWII battle ship and adjacent submarine. The flight deck of the carrier has lots of vintage planes.

Another museum that is great for kids is the Transit Museum in Brooklyn Heights. Kids love the subways, and this museum is full of vintage subway cars, memorabilia and the like.

I do believe that your kid will be somewhat on the older scale for the Brooklyn Children's Museum.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,417 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Museums to choose for family with 7 year old son?

If your son is into dinosaurs, the Mus. of Nat. Hist. is the place to go.

The Met Museum is huge. They have a great collection on arms and armor if he's into that. There are also some good family events/tours so check their website.

metmuseum.org

MOMA is much smaller than the Met. Have a look on their website and see what you think.

moma.org

I would also read some trip reports from families with kids your son's age (these can be found on the bottom of the column on the right side of this page).

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What Museums to choose for family with 7 year old son?

Did your kid see the movie "Night at the Museum" with Ben Stiller. If Yes, then take him to Museum of Natural History. Get him involved in picking what to see at the museum - I dont know what his attention span is (Mine has never been more than a couple of hours in any museum ).

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What Museums to choose for family with 7 year old son?

Don't "over museum" your kid and remember that he is 7--- I have seen so many families that drag their kid through museums that they have no right being in... I know, I know your son is special and he has a great interest in art and can tell the difference between a Monet and a Degas......yada yada yada... but find things that are not like museums like the ones Mel suggested....and when he gets cranky because you have done what you planned to do anyway to expose him to the great art of the world--- please remove yourselves from the gallery as to not disturb the people who should be there.

I know whereof I speak--- my new granddaughter lives 2 blocks from the Met Museum and is a frequent visitor already at 8 months but we always have our ear out for the slightest whimper to know when to leave

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,094 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What Museums to choose for family with 7 year old son?

At that age, my son loved the Natural History Museum--he said, "I could have stayed there all day."

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What Museums to choose for family with 7 year old son?

I agree about the AMNH but how would your son at that age done at the MOMA or the MET as these fine folks are considering ?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What Museums to choose for family with 7 year old son?

You've just gotta go to the AMNH. I turned into a 7 year old boy when I was looking at those dinosaurs.

I visited the Intrepid about a month ago and very much enjoyed it. There were families all over the place, and the kids seemed to be really enjoying the hands-on exhibits, like crawling into a shuttle and lying in the position of the astronauts.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,272 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What Museums to choose for family with 7 year old son?

I agree with Musuem of Natural History. I've never seen the Intrepid, but lots of families love it. The Met has so much, there's bound to be one part he likes ... just don't "over-museum" him and turn him off to them ... kwim?

Don't rule out Ellis Island. My daughter was only 8 when we went to Washington DC and she loved a lot of the historical stuff. It made me feel guilty that we hadn't done the historical things in our own back yard (Boston). It really all depends on the kid.

My kids were 10 and 12 the first time we took them to NY and they both enjoyed Ellis Island, the Museum of Natural History, the Empire State Building, the Central Park Zoo, FAO Swartz, the lights of Times Square, etc, etc.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
163 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What Museums to choose for family with 7 year old son?

Thank you to all for your thoughts and suggestions. We will be sure to take in the American Museum of Natural History for sure as many suggested this is the best for our son's age. Our plan was to take in the MoMA on a Friday night for a short while (40min - 1 hour) to see a few of the galleries that may be of interest to our son. I think that may be all we will try to take in this visit. I did not get any feedback on the Sony Wonder Technology lab does anyone have ideas on this as a must see item during our stay.