We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 hour stopover in JFK...time to do one thing?

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
8 hour stopover in JFK...time to do one thing?

I have read all the previous posts...many thanks but am still not clear! I am travelling AA and land 3.30pm, I then fly to Heathrow 11.35pm. I've never been to New York, I enjoy taking photos. I will be travelling alone and freqently get lost!

Any suggestions?

thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 hour stopover in JFK...time to do one thing?

Are your bags being checked through all the way Heathrow? If not, you will need to figure out what to do with your bags - I think there may be a held luggage spot at JFK - not sure where though. Their website would indicate where.

I would guess you would arrive in the city by about 5 p.m. - and then since you are taking an international flight, airlines want you to check in 3 hours before your flight, which would be being back at JFK by around 8:30 - meaning you would have to leave the city around 7:15 or so.

It is up to you as to whether you want to come into the city for about three hours.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 hour stopover in JFK...time to do one thing?

I think if your bags are checked through you could add another hour to Momcat's timeline--- the airline would like you to show up 3 hours ahead but you will have no problem if it is 2 hours ahead,

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,615 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 hour stopover in JFK...time to do one thing?

If you're already checked in and have a boarding pass, the 3 hour or 2 hour requirement is moot. With a boarding pass in hand there is no need to be at the airport 3 hours before flight departure.

I'm actually facing the same thing next week and I'm resigned to hanging at the airport for my 7.5 hour layover. For me it's just too much of a hassle to go anywhere.

I belong to Delta's Sky Club, which at least is a bit more relaxing than hanging out in the terminal all day. You might want to look into a daily membership for that, I think they're $50.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,454 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 hour stopover in JFK...time to do one thing?

If you can check your luggage through to Heathrow and you don't have too much hand luggage, your options are endless depending on your budget and your self confidence. On the conservative but expensive end, you can hire a car service like

strusserslimousineservice.com

to pick you up at JFK and take you wherever you want to go and bring you back in plenty of time. What they'd charge, I have no idea. If you want to try to do this on your own, you have to give us an idea of how you'd like to travel (train, bus, tax or car service) and what you think you'd like to see.

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 hour stopover in JFK...time to do one thing?

i dont know if my bags are being checked in...how can i find out?

I have a priority pass for a lounge anyway but really want to make the most of being in New York. (will have a proper break with my husband in the future). Not sure what I want to do! Love photographing wildlife but after 2 weeks in costa rica doing just that I may want to photograph buildings! I enjoy shopping but only if good value...love USA when dollar was 2 for 1! Not bothered about food when Im by myself. Like to feel safe! Dont mind taking tours as im by myself. Really need suggestions as not sure what the possibilities are. (bit chicken and egg I agree!) probably wouldnt want to spend a fortune on limo/taxi unless saved lots of time

thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 hour stopover in JFK...time to do one thing?

You can ask your airline - are you holding one airline ticket that includes both flights? If so, it is likely your bags will be checked through and you will have only to go through check in on the flight to JFK -

If it isn't clear to you, a quick call to the airline you are flying to JFK will answer that question for you - if you are checked all the way through, you will have a bit more time in the city as you will only then have to get through security when you return to JFK and then onto your gate.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 hour stopover in JFK...time to do one thing?

The other issue is are you flying directly from Costa Rica into New York --- if so you just lost another hour going through customs and you will have to handle your bags--- what everyone is telling you is that 8 hours is not really 8 hours and it may or may not be worth it to you--- getting into the city and back will cost you about $120 with a taxi and a little more with a private car.

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 8 hour stopover in JFK...time to do one thing?

my flights are from heathrow to costa rica...so i think this means my luggage will not have to be collected until I land at heathrow. I am going via New York, and instead of a 2 hour stop over I chose 8 so I could maybe venture into New York.

thanks

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,783 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 8 hour stopover in JFK...time to do one thing?

If you are staying on the same airline you may be considered an "intransit passenger" and not necessarily have access to leave the airport! Why not post on the Air Travel Forum. There are people there who are very knowledgeable in this stuff.

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 8 hour stopover in JFK...time to do one thing?

Thanks...despite spending hundreds of hours on TA I hadn't realised this existed!! Will get back to you if I can leave!