We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is Queens a dangerous area?

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
8 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
is Queens a dangerous area?

Hi,i have booked a room in Dayss Inn Long Island City,which is located in Queens. This hotel is cheap but after watching some videos about murders in streets on you tube i got a bit scared.can you tell me what is going on there please?

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
137 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,115 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
999 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,388 reviews
from US$36.00*
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,847 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: is Queens a dangerous area?

Murders on the streets? Where?

The area is not the most attractive area necessarily but it is safe.

Seriously - what Youtube with murders - are you saying you saw a Youtube video showing actual murders in that neighborhood?

New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is Queens a dangerous area?

Queens is by far the largest of the five boroughs of New York City. It covers 110 square miles ( or 283 square kilometers) and is home to 2.3 million people. In a place that large and that populous, you will find some areas that are rough, but you will also find others that are so expensive, elegant, and desirable that it is highly likely you would never be able to afford living there.

The Days Inn is not in an unsafe location at all, but it is also not in a pretty or convenient location, either. It is located at the intersection of three extremely busy streets in an industrial area, directly adjacent to the elvated subway tracks and close to a large rail yard. Walking to or from the subway a block a way will be difficult -- but because of traffic, not because of crime.

You should consider some of the better-located Long Island City hotels, including the Verve, the Country Inn and Suites, The Holiday Inn Manhattan View, and the Quality Inn.

Central Village...
Level Contributor
17,928 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: is Queens a dangerous area?

if you believe the nonsense posted on YouTube - when you arrive in NY please stop by my booth in Grand Central - I deal in bridge sales and am having a sale on one that connects Manhattan and Brooklyn or if that doesn't suit your fancy the Verrazano Narrows is also available.

Come on - TV is the past has cast a negative pallor on the City, however in the latest polls and collections of statistics NYC and environs is one of the safest large cities in the USA.

If I were you, I'd change my viewing habits of computer sites.

Poppa

Edited: 19 October 2010, 00:12
Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
8 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is Queens a dangerous area?

thank you very much guys...now i am feeling better. As for the video,it was written in it that in 2005 there were about 50 murders on the streets.

P.S. thanks for the suggestions but i have already paid for the hotel!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,309 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is Queens a dangerous area?

Don't worry about murders being reported. They are usually "among enemies." We just had a murder in my hometown. Shot dead in the face in the parking lot of a large shopping center. I can assure you the shopping center parking lot will be full of cars again tomorrow. You will probably win a lottery before you will get close to a murder.

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is Queens a dangerous area?

It's your vacation.

If you believe that Queens is unsafe, then you should cancel your hotel reservation and select a hotel with a location that appears safe to you and then you will have peace of mind.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
8 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is Queens a dangerous area?

its not like i believe everything i see on TV, you know, but it will be my first time in America and it is a whole new experience for me.I dont know much about New York but if I choose to believe what i see in movies it must be something like heaven.....

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is Queens a dangerous area?

"I dont know much about New York but if I choose to believe what i see in movies it must be something like heaven....."

I thought you were just worrying about "murders on the streets" in New York. Where along the line did it become heaven in your mind?

I've got to say, does the idea of 50 murders a year per two and a half million residents really sound that unusual to you?

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
8 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is Queens a dangerous area?

yes, i was really worried but thanks to what you wrote, now i think that Queens is safe. She told me not to beleive what i see on TV. But since almost everything on TV is about America, and most of the time about New York there is usually good stuff about it and sometimes only bad stuff.

50 murders in one neighborhood is too much for me. In the place i live of course there is crime but we dont have gansters or fights in the streets. That is what i asked!if there are gansters and people who wait for tourists like me who has no idea of this enormous city to mug them.

P.S.and yeah i believe that new york is a small heaven,maybe i will change my mind when i come,but i dont think so.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,847 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: is Queens a dangerous area?

I don't know of any neighborhood that has had 50 murders....must have been quite a creative video.