We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which bus from GCT to the Metropolitan Museum of Art?

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Topic
Which bus from GCT to the Metropolitan Museum of Art?

Hello: I'll be in the city on a Saturday with 2 little kids. We'll be arriving into GCT from metroNorth around 10:00 a.m. We'll be visiting the Metropolitan Museum of Art for as long as it keeps the kids' interest, (2nd grader and a K student), then lunch, then heading back to GCT mid-afternoon or early evening for our return home.

Should I take the subway or the bus to/from the Met? Which ticket for either should I buy? Where can I find a bus route/map to check to see which bus I need to take? Who rides the bus for free? : ) We have a little time, do you think the bus ride would be the best choice?

Thanks in advance, WB

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which bus from GCT to the Metropolitan Museum of Art?

Hey waterbug2468:-) Although you can take the subway, it will leave you at either 79th or 86th and Lexington Avenue..you'd need to walk your way over to 82nd and Fifth..not a long walk but you can also opt for the #4 bus from Madison Avenue..it's a 2-mile run (40 blocks) straight up to 82nd Street and you'd only need to walk 1 block over to Fifth! May take just a bit longer but you'll most likely make it up in 'walking' time from the subway! Have a fun day and Enjoy!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,350 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which bus from GCT to the Metropolitan Museum of Art?

The subway will be MUCH faster.

Bus map: http://mta.info/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf

Subway map: http://mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

Children under 44" ride the subway or bus free with a paying adult. You'll need a MetroCard either way, either a pay-per-ride or an unlimited card. If the only transit rides you'll be taking are to and from teh Museum and Grand Central terminal, then get a pay-per-ride card with $4.50 per fare-paying rider. (If you put more than $8 on a card, you get a 15% bonus, so make sure you figure this in.

To take the train get the uptown 4, 5, or 6 train (the 4 or 5 will be fastest) from 42nd Street (GCT) to 86th Street.

To take the bus, get the M1, M2, M3 or M4 bus up Madison Ave to 83rd Street. (To get back you'll get the same buses on 5th Ave at 82nd Street.)

Here's the link to the museum page with directions.

www.metmuseum.org/visit/general_information/

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which bus from GCT to the Metropolitan Museum of Art?

The 4 or 5 train would be the easiest and fastest - it would go up Lexington ave and then you would walk over to 5th avenue getting off at 86th street.

as an alternative you can take a bus on Madison ave going up town to about 85th street -- to get on a bus you would need to have metro passes in hand or lots of quarters-- the kids will ride free on either-- assuming they are under 44 " tall

I probably would recommend the train given that you do not even have to leave GCT to catch it

Edited: 19 October 2010, 22:41
The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which bus from GCT to the Metropolitan Museum of Art?

Thanks, everyone! That's exactly the information I needed. Is there an online map of the bus routes? ( I may have asked this before my last daytrip into the city, sorry if I'm being redundent. I'll earmark the page this time, promise).

I was biased toward the bus because I thought the boys might like to see the city from the train station to the museum.

I think I'll take the subway one way and the bus back to GC. Both kids are still under 44" tall.

I'm thinking we'll eat lunch at the cafeteria in the museum but go somewhere else for a snack (GCT foodcourt?) before we head back home.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
784 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which bus from GCT to the Metropolitan Museum of Art?

Here's the MTA Manhattan bus map.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf

I think BrooklynBrdge had a link to the subway map as well at reply 2 on this thread.

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which bus from GCT to the Metropolitan Museum of Art?

Sorry, BB. You had a link to both subway and bus maps included in your post. Thank-you, Charefex and Everyone.

Edited: 19 October 2010, 23:45
DC
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Which bus from GCT to the Metropolitan Museum of Art?

Take the subway. If the weather is nice, after the museum the kids will like the boat pond. You could eat lunch at the Boathouse and maybe rent a rowboat and row around the lake for a while.

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Which bus from GCT to the Metropolitan Museum of Art?

I love the Boathouse but these two little guys are huge fans of chicken nuggets, overcooked pasta with butter and generic grated cheese, pb&j, grilled cheese sandwiches, chocolate milk, etc. The lovely Boathouse would be wasted on them. Do they only serve brunch on Saturdays?

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,037 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which bus from GCT to the Metropolitan Museum of Art?

My niece was (is) that kind of eater but she started exploring the Met when she was in a backpack. Today, she's at Harvard doing a fully funded PHD in classics! so hey you never know.

The shake and cupcake cart outside of the Met is interesting - cupcakes are good - haven't tried the shakes/

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Which bus from GCT to the Metropolitan Museum of Art?

These two are Ninja warriors and love that budigan or budikan stuff or whatever it is. (it's not food)

As it turns out, only 1 of them is less than 44" tall. How does he go through the turnstile? I was planning on buying a metroCard for me and one other adult. Can 3 of us go through a subway turnstile by swiping the card 3x? The littlest one of us does what?

Thank-you in advance. I've used the metro-card loaded with $20.00 for our last overnight trip when my husband and I were in NYC but I haven't used it with kids. Can I swipe it 3 times for 3 of us to take one ride?

Edited: 20 October 2010, 03:51